This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Training status, recovery time, training effect missing on Venu 2

Many owners of Fenix and Forerunner series watches would tell you that they dream about having Fenix or Forerunner watch with AMOLED display. Venu series could be great way to give people what they want. But for second time Garmin is messing things up by excluding basic training features like training status, training effect, training load and recovery time from Venu lineup. I personally don't understand how Garmin can mess this up second time in row.

• I wonder what is behind that decision to not give these functions to more devices. I mean I won't buy two watches just to have all possible features. But it would clearly make the watches more attractive and makes me less consider getting another brand. 

• Mine says it needs 1-2 weeks of data in the app. Are you saying it's not collected on the watch and will never show up in the app? If so, that really sucks.

• That's lame. Well Garmin has ~90 days to change my mind or it may have to go back.

The Venu 2 has some great features, but it lacks any actionable data. Every morning, I do that Health Snapshot activity with the hopes Garmin actually released an update that does something with the data. There's not even a nice way to compare the data from one day to another and/or baseline.

Polar is even worse when it comes sharing features across capable devices. Coros is the best (they share software version for the most part), but they are still in infancy and their watches are a bit boring.

• I agree, a premium watch with AMOLED would be very popular. It’s coming, but probably not this year. Fenix 7 will likely still use the old display tech. Source: insider info + speculation from the5krunner.com

• I agree. Today one have to use Honor GS PRO, Huawei GT 2, Amazfit TREX PRO or Xiaomi Watch to get Fenix/Forerunner Firstbeat features related to training like Training Effect or Recovery time and AMOLED display in same time. But let's be honest none of them is matching Garmin Connect functionality and other Garmin features. I am personally using Honor GS PRO since it is only AMOLED watch to offers 20 days/40 hours GPS battery life thanks to its 800mah battery. But I would like to see something similar from Garmin.

• That's bad news. I have actually sold my Fenix 6X PRO Solar in favor of Honor GS PRO after wearing them side by side for 1 month willingly sacrificing additional Garmin features for sale of having better watch experience. Because every time I looked at that low resolution LCD display it was and eye sore. Especially at night with backlight. Considering 6X SOLAR display is one of best that Garmin currently offers regarding contrast, blacks being blacks, resolution, size there is nowhere to go from there if you want something at least as good as GS PRO excellent AMOLED display.

• I agree that they should included at least some stuff. From all that f.e. I only need recovery time which I find quite useful after a hard workout like HIIT. And I really wish they included it and of course they could have included everything without a problem. BUT....

Here iOS the but... They have so many lines, too many watches imo. And of course they have to differentiate them all. The Venu is a lifestyle product for people wanting a nice screen and also some sport stuff. This is why they included more in the V2. Hiking, HIIT etc. But still for people who do "normal" workouts, who don't care about all that stuff for more advanced users. They have a forerunner line for people who want more training based stuff and want to run faster. They have the high end line which includes almost everything. I do wish they had less watches and lines and more stuff and I would pay 50€ more to get all the firstbeat stats. Many here would. But here is the thing. WE would pay more. The normal Venu buyer wants a normal fitness watch with several activities and doesn't care for training load etc. Those buy the forerunner or Fenix line. This watch is for "normal" people who just wanna track their activities and lifestyle and that's it. I would assume many Venu users have no idea what this thread is all about

I hope AMOLED will come to the higher Fenix and esp Forerunner line. But those buyers don't need AMOLED but a good display to read in sunlight and far better battery life than with an AMOLED watch. So I doubt it. Maybe there will be one AMOLED Fenix model. But otherwise I think they will stick with the display they had for many years. 

What I don't understand here, is complaining about missing stuff AFTER buying a watch. Garmin lists everything very readable on their site. No one can complain they will return a watch because it doesn't have these features when Garmin never said it did and when everyone on earth can read all features listed on their site. This is just not understandable. And Garmin won't bring a feature just that one person keeps a watch and doesn't return it.

But there is stuff which is not included which is a No-Go imo like not pausing an activity for a longer time, "Resume later" is a must have for every sports watch. This f.e. to me is not under stable and very annoying as it is no first beat feature and almost every sports watch includes it. They included hiking, which is great imo, but you can't pause a Hike? Almost everyone I know at least does a longer pause when hiking for 20km-50km. Very annoying. 

• While I agree with you that Venu series might be for people that may never use Firstbeat performance analytics and want lower price. That does not change fact that companies like Huawei/Honor especially with their GS PRO watch are offering AMOLED watch that many Garmin users want for yeays, with twice battery life of Venu 2 for half of the price! Dream watch for user that wants hybrid of smart/sports watch and hate Garmin's LCD display blue tint lottery. With only downside being fact that Huawei Health app is really basic compared to Garmin Connect. With Huawei GT3 series watch behind corner, if Huawei can keep good stuff which they already have in GT2/GS PRO and add chest HR strap support and improve their app, Garmin is screwed. Since they don't have any alternative. BTW when it comes to features on different watches there is pretty big mess in Garmin compare tool. Since they keep adding features to watches after release, but they don't update specs in their compare tool on their website, like they added new features to 945. I would summarize it by saying that it's really sad that Garmin does not seem to care about customers. Whole display lottery, that you need to buy Solar or Sapphire version to have at least higher chance to get somewhat decent display with good contrast/sharpness and without blue tint is sad. Then Garmin refuses to give us alternative in form of Venu or some other series of watches, that would solve display lottery by using AMOLED screen as option, by removing/not adding features from Fenix/Forerunner series to Venu series. It's a deadlock. I really want to use Garmin watch, because I really like Garmin Connect and all the features. But I can't, because display quality is really bad, compared to what competition with AMOLED displays is offering. I guess I was just hoping for Venu 2 series to solve this deadlock. But it hasn't, because Garmin don't want it to.

• I don't think you can compare chinese companies with Apple, Garmin etc. 

Me, and I know many European people in my family/friends etc., don't wanna use chinese tech because you give your data to china, and Huawei is infamous for belonging to chinese government even though it is not official. Of course that makes devices cheaper. They don't wanna give you a present, they make it cheaper for you to buy it and give them all your data. And nothing is more important, delicate, intimate and private then health data. It's like with Facebook or Google, you get cheaper or free stuff but pay for it with your data. No thanks.

You can compare Garmin to Polar or Sunnto etc. But those are mostly not so different from each other. It is not only the hardware you pay for but also the software, updates etc. And the more data you give a company and the more they use YOUR data, the cheaper the product becomes. Polar f.e. does bring big updates to older watches but only because they promised it and because the watches came without a promised feature to begin with. Not that nice either. 

I don't agree with everything Garmin does, as you said the display lottery f.e. And I don't understand many things, but you can't get everything in a product if you are not willing to pay the highest price. Every company does that. And you pay for Firstbeat features, the more first beat data the more expensive it gets. They had to license those features and had to pay for them before buying it. 

And I must say that they do a lot of updates over they lifetime of a product. 945 now gets FB on device sleep tracking which wasn't promised at all for the watch when released back then. Esp 9xx series and Fenix series get a lot of updates till a new product comes out. And you can't expect them to give new watch's features to old watches when it wasn't promised from Garmin. Of course they wanna sell their new products. Who would buy the successor of a product if all these features would become available as an update to their old watch? These are still companies depended on profit.

And I don't think companies like Coros, chinese connection btw, will do these big updates forever either. They give new features to old watches now to get new customers and loyalty, but for how long will they do that? Till they are big enough and have enough customers? 

As said before Garmin doesn't do everything right and I agree some more stuff could have been added t the Venu2. But f.e. saying to return the watch if it doesn't get training load etc. is ridiculous. Because nowhere has Garmin said it would be included. 

And where is Venu 2 display quality bad? I think it is good, not Apple good, but good. I think it is more the way they did graphics, fonts, sizes etc. Sometimes it is hard to read text on my V2s because it is too small etc. They still have to learn a lot about AMOLED, graphics etc.