This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Can you reply to text by voice? (Android)

The one thing I miss from my Samsung watch was being able to quickly reply to texts using the watch. My Venu2 does have quick responses which are pretty good but speaking a response would be better. It looks like the 2+ supports that?

• Try Settings \ Google \ Settings for Google Apps \ Search, Assistant & Voice \ Google Assistant \ Personal Results.  In here you can enable Personal Results, but there’s also an On Headphones option that says “Hear personal results on your headphones when your phone is locked”.  Just wondering if that’s needed given the V2+ will effectively be your Bluetooth Headphones,

• OK, this toggles are good. I think this is all you need on the Assistant. So if it doesn't work, I would wipe cache and data, reboot Assistant again, amd set these toggles again (I am thinking that maybe you unintentionally touched some other setting).

What phone do you have? Do you have Assistant and Connect without battery optimization?

Also, say "Send a whatsapp message TO SOMEONE", make it simple for the Assistant.

Good luck.

• Hey Guys,

Nicksunley's path made the trick for me (incl Headphones tick)  Smiley

Thank you both very much for your help, you made my watch now even more valuable to me.

• I too seem to have found the magic formula on Google Assistant to make it work. I have all the settings suggested by others + I have removed the Venu2+ as a Smart Lock device.  I think Google Assistant gives better audio prompts when the phone remains locked.  It certainly confirms my messages before it sends now.  Anyway, its working decently now on Pixel 6 Pro.

• This is disappointing to read - the Pebble Time could use voice-to-text to respond to messages.  It would be nice if this circa 2016 tech could be available on this 2022 watch.  I know the Pebble was portrayed as a smartwatch, but the Venu 2 and even the Vivoactive 4 runs circles around the Pebble in smartwatch capabilities...except for the speech-to-text responses.

• Yes, when I first created this thread I was hoping for the same - direct voice responses. But, as discussed here, Garmin chose to let Google do to the voice work. I get the strategy. Interestingly, people on the Samsung forums are unhappy that their android wear watches don't support Google Assistant. But they do support direct voice. (Well the Active 2 did I am not sure about the latest). Anyway, the strategy makes sense except the Assistant does not work for reading texts. At least not for me. My workaround is to read the text on the watch then use the assistant to send a new text to the sender. This works "ok" but not with group texts. 

• Wow.. I'm actually so shocked to see your response as I almost thought I had typed it, lol.. Had to do a double take. Yes! It is absolutely crazy that back in 2016 (6 years ago y'all!) I could be in the middle of a shower, with my Pebble Time Steel on my wrist, and get an incoming text notification... I could hit "Reply" and talk to my watch my voice-to-text response, and wait about 1-2 seconds, and see my exact text message before it got sent back out in response. I could even verify if everything looked good or re-record (or re-state) my voice-to-text message before it was sent. It's bonkers to me that we are now in 2022 and a watch as superior (in hardware, truly) as the Venu 2 Plus can't smoothly and seamlessly do this even with direct to my Google Assistant on my phone integration. I'm often so perplexed by this.