This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Can you reply to text by voice? (Android)

The one thing I miss from my Samsung watch was being able to quickly reply to texts using the watch. My Venu2 does have quick responses which are pretty good but speaking a response would be better. It looks like the 2+ supports that?

• Not directly from the the reply screen. You can use the voice assistant to reply by holding the middle side button, as if you said "Hey Google". 

• Thank you . To clarify, if I got 4 or 5 texts I would have to have Hey Google read them to me so I could reply, but if I looked at them in the text Glance I could still use the quick replies I have defined (android only). Yes?

• Yes AI P you've got it! Sadly the Voice Command does not work for items on the watch itself. It ONLY works to invoke the voice assistant on your phone. 

• Well... the Samsung watch was better but this is still OK. And pretty much everything else about the Venu 2 is already better than Samsung .Slight smile The 2+ is definitely in my future.

• You can also invoke the assistant from the watch and say "text AIP mobile." That will allow you to send a message with voice-to-text if you missed your chance to reply with the assistant.

• Hi AI P,

In my opinion, it is currently not possible to send Whatsapp messages only with your watch and the assistant. I have already a venu2plus and I was also very excited for this feature but unfortunately it is not possible to use apps on your smartphone with the assistant while your phone is locked. Anytime I ask via my watch "send a whatapp message" I get the answer " Please unlock your phone first".

I hope Garmin will find a solution, similar to the Galaxy Watch3.

Ref from Google:

support.google.com/.../9134021

• This is not a Garmin problem. In your Google assistant settings you need to allow "Personal results while screen is locked". I can send Whatsapp messages perfectly.

• I find the whole thing a bit hit or miss on my Pixel 6 Pro.   I do have the "Personal results while screen is locked" and I also have smart unlock on.  I find that if I say "play messages" ( even if I have already read them on the watch ) it works pretty well when google ASKS if I want to reply.   However If I try to instigate a whatsapp message its very hit or miss.  I don't get any prompts back from the assistant.  I'll say "Send a whatsapp message to Joe Smith",  then I kinda hear nothing back.   If I then go check my phone, it usually has opened to whatsapp conversation with Joe Smith and is just sitting there.   SMS messages seem to work better.    I am not sure if there is anything Garmin can do about this though.   It does seems though that mic closes early sometimes on the watch too though, so maybe Garmin can fix that.

• Hi Alex,

These are actually good news :)

Could you please provide a screenshot or path where to find this setting ? The only option regarding lock screen I could find, is already ticked but my watch still replies that I have to unlock my phone first. I know it' German but the format should look familiar in English I guess)