This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Body Fat % on Index S2 Smart Scale Seems Inaccurate part2

you have locked last discussion promissing a new update cominng by the end of q3 update cykle. We are at the end of Q4 and there is still no FW update. Any new information you could share with us? Thanks

Top Replies

All Replies

• Can we come over to get our readings? Smiley

• lololol. I have both scales side by side so will see how they are tracking together. I think Garmin finally listened - I think their sensor is ok, its just an algorithm issue and I think having someone put in a Dexa (or other scale) is probably as accurate or as correct as any algorithm out there. 

• Please see the 3.00 software update for this device which was just released and addresses this disruption.  This software release should be available to all users at this time.

If you are having difficulty with the update, please see:

Manually Updating Software on the Index S2 Smart Scale

• So has there been changes to other things too? Or is the only change the ability to manually enter body comp? Thanks Kev!

• Change Log for v3.00

• Body Metric Improvements
    • Wi-Fi Updates
    • Removed WEP Support

I thought I notice a slight improvement in the sync speed.

• My bad. I meant is there any other improvements to body fat accuracy? I don't fancy having to go and get a DEXA done haha

• Yea, I'm wondering too. Has anyone gotten the 3.0 update and tested it out yet?

• i just tested it. i set my BF at 8%. immediately got a reading of 8.7%BF from the garmin scales. this is a whole lot better than the 15% it had been giving me but there is some interesting logic going on there to take the baseline and immediately decide it knows better!

unfortunately having been relying on the garmin scales for 2 years now i don't have an up to date BF% but believe 8 will be pretty close

the 15%BF reading has 31.1kg muscle, 4.6kg bone and 62.2% water

the new 8.7%BF reading has 31.3kg muscle, 5.2kg bone and 66.6% water

so the big reduction in BF seems to have mostly been reinterpreted as water. i would strongly suspect that a fair chunk of it should be muscle (other readings from 2 years ago support that). worth noting that the first weigh-in was my normal first thing in the morning whereas the 2nd was afternoon so reasonable that water% increased but if nothing else, we've lost 6.3% and added back 4.4%

so initial impression is dubious but it is at least an improvement

• Tested today. Much better but still 1% off comparing to my tanita. I'll continue setting the tanita values in Garmin Connect and then stepping onto the Index 2. I hope it closes the difference.

• Just updated so 3.00, the scales show my body fat at 22.1%, while my actual body fat is 7.6%.

Updated my body composition values, Garmin shows 9.9% BF. My guess is that Garmin's algorithm is still based on user's age, sex, weight and height alone, except now the values are adjusted to be closer to the ones entered manually.

To be honest these changes look like "we're still not really "measuring" BF% but now we're making the users enter actual values themselves to help us hide this fact".