This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Body Fat % on Index S2 Smart Scale Seems Inaccurate part2

you have locked last discussion promissing a new update cominng by the end of q3 update cykle. We are at the end of Q4 and there is still no FW update. Any new information you could share with us? Thanks

Top Replies

All Replies

• Dear Garmin-Kevin, I am a huge Garmin fan I had the Fenix 5,6 and now 7 the index 1 and bought this year the Index 2 as replacement of the body cardio from Withings because I love the integration. However I knew there were issues but trusted Garmin as a big company to solve it and read the story about incorrect body fat and your reply it would be solved in the next quarter (that was 3rd quarter), still no update….if I look at your competitor in Scales, Withings have introduced two new scales in the last three months. Today a pure new one. What I don’t understand if a relative small company Withings can introduce two new precision scales in two months why can’t Garmin as a big company and lots of health care related products not solve this issue? I honestly considering buying the scale of Withings which I don’t want because I love the integration of all health in one app. Please can you indicate when finally an update will come to solve things…. You still advertise it as a precision scale so please solve the issue…. A Garmin Fan

• Same problem as all people here. I bought S2 month ago and measurement is incorrect. I am really disgusted! Garmin-Kevin and other from Garmin, where is firmware update, which make our scales from Garmin correct as you promise?! 

• After almost waiting 2 years for a fix, and posting multiple times on this forum, even pointing out where the issues lies within the algorithm, and it’s still not fixed. I decided to purchase a withings scale based on someone’s suggestion on this forum, and it has an athlete mode (it probably uses different algo, less reliant on BMI,

Thank you!  I am super happy I ran across this thread.  While I am no super athlete I couldnt believe my fat % was almost 23% according to the Index.  The last time I checked it was 11%, granted that was 5 years ago and I expected it to be higher since I am not running as much.  But 23% seemed way too high.  I will be returning the Index and getting the Withings. I really wanted to like the index because of the convenience of being in the Garmin ecosystem with my Fenix HRM Pro but I am beginning to lose some faith in Garmin being able to accurately measure basic things.  Take a look at the Fenix 7 forum regarding HR.  Thank you again.

• I got the brand new Withings - the body fat there is certainly higher than my old withings and in line with calipers and the garmin if I set my activity level to 10 and my age to 21 (Im 50). I also use the connection service that was recommended on this thread (smartscalesync.com) and everything syncs seamlessly. Im upset I wasted my money on this S2 and as an avid Garmin customer (have a Tactix 7 Ballistic Edition, Edge 530 and Tacx Trainer - plus the countless other sensors and past watches and computers) - am appalled by how they handled this particular project. 

• Thank you for the feedback.  Its good to know that the Withings Body + is better than the Garmin.  Its a shame because I was seriously thinking about getting the new Garmin blood pressure monitor as well so that I can stay in the ecosystem but I will wait until there is more user feedback.

• Garmin blood pressure monitor

Works perfectly fine for me. First impressions - Index BPM

• In the last 3 months I have lost 7 kilos which is 8.5% of my total weight. According to my not so smart scale I have lost 300 grams of muscle and 200 grams of bone and my body water has remained consistent. The scale says I have only lost 1% body fat. Can someone at Garmin respond to all our shout outs. All I hear are crickets!!!

• Can someone at Garmin respond to all our shout outs.

S2 Body Fat not accurate - Index S2 Smart Scale - Health & Wellness - Garmin Forums

We are aware of the issue and are committed to making improvements to address it.  Within the next quarter, we plan to release an update that will address inexplicable wide swings in body fat readings, however we are also planning long term improvements to further improve accuracy.  More specifically, we’ve been investing in additional R&D and are in the midst of a large scale study to collect data from a broad distribution of users.  This data will be used to reevaluate and improve our algorithms.  We are not currently in a position to provide a definitive timeline for the longer term improvements since the study is ongoing and improvements will require validation.  We recognize that many of our customers have been waiting for improvements and we are working urgently to deliver a solution.
  • After reading all the feedback on how bad the body fat readings were and the lack of any improvement I promptly returned my S2 after only 4 days.  Hopefully the Withings Body + will be better.