This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

S2 Scale does not use impendance to measure BF% instead a algorithm based on weight, age and sex alone!

Just got the index S2 today, what a joke product.  Quickly confirmed that if you set your activity level to 5 , it only uses weight (and the stored age / sex) input to provide BF%: 

The algorithm used seems to be: 

Body fat % (Adults) = (1.20 × BMI) + (0.23 × Age) - (10.8 × sex) − 5.4

where sex is 1 for males and 0 for females.

Anyone else can confirm this? 

Very disappointing and I would guess bordering to illegal to market this scale as actually using impendance measures? Maybe the software is broken and fails to get impendance data and just falls back to use weight? And Garmin is not fixing it? Mind boggling ..  

• For questions about impedance and how that is used for measurements, please see the owner's manual content linked below:

For updates on the reports that some users have submitted regarding the accuracy of Body Fat measurements, please see the main thread which we will be updating as more information comes available:

1. impendance is very sensitive to hydration level. I poublished a play today asking may be a professional can jump in and explain the whole issue. It's an enigma for me how people claims that other scales like Tanita and Arboleaf can be much more precise if hydration is the Isis.
  • Except that thread is locked and has never had any meaningful input from garmin, nor have any of the numerous other threads.

Kevin I understand that you can only provide the information you have but it is normal for customers who have been sold a lemon to keep asking questions 

• It's not just the S2. Garmin's support for Health & Wellness is atrocious. 

• I guess there won't be a Q4 update.

• I had the Withings Body+. It is junk. I am looking around here to find more on the Garmin scales. The grass doesn't seem to be much greener over here. The Withings Body+ was working from time to time. In the end I smashed it to pieces because it annoyed me so much. It wasn't nice to be confronted with such a piece of garbage first thing in the morning.

• Works fine for body weight for the most part. It's just the body composition measurements that are a complete failure. So depending on what you need, it may or may not work for you.

Personally I don't care that much about the body composition metrics, I'm more interested in just tracking my weight trend over time and having native integration with Connect, and for that it's great. Would be nice if the body comp measurements worked though, since it's a very expensive scale for just doing weight; I've given up complaining about it and asking for them to fix it though, after two years it's clear they've abandoned ship on supporting/fixing this product.

• Did any of you that are changing their age before stepping on the scale and then back ever get a script to do that automatically?

This could be a smarthome automation, whenever you are near the scale the age in the profile is reduced.

• I belive it is about century, not the year

2024 is Q1

2049 - Q2
    2074 - Q3
    2099 - tnd of Q4

So only 76 years left )))