This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Software and Product Updates on the Index BPM

Hi, I'm looking to buy one these but the accuracy issues that some people report (here, Amazon reviews, etc.) are concerning.  I know BP readings aren't always precise, but I'd like consistency and some confidence in the accuracy.  People often compare to Omron devices.  Anyways, my question is how has Garmin responded with software updates?  Have there been some to address some issues?  Or, do people think the device itself (the design) may be a hindrance. I don't want to spend this kind of money only for a version 2 to come out or Garmin slipstreaming in an updated version without changing the model number.  Or do I spend much less on an Omron 3 and wait?

• Well, this is a forum. As such, most users won't post on a forum unless they're having an issue of some sort. So, the numbers tend to be a bit skewed. Personally, I've had no issues, as I've stated here: First impressions.

As far as updates, I don't believe there have been any updates since the initial release. And as far as I can tell, nobody that has posted negative results on the forum has reported these issues to Garmin, so I'm not sure they have any urgency to fix problems.

If you're unsure, I would just go with the proven Omron product. The main advantage of the Garmin is that it integrates into the Garmin ecosystem.

• Hi, thanks for your thoughts.  I like the Garmin system.  I suppose I'll get it and try to learn how to consistently apply it.  I see a number of people seem to have Omron's too. I suppose I can buy the model 3 too, compare and then decide.

Thanks again.   I welcome any other comments from others! 

• It may be worth noting that in the regulatory information in the manual it says:

Maintenance

• No firmware update is needed during the service life of this product.

• On very rare occasions, you might need to reinstall the firmware on the device due to hardware malfunction. In this case, the intended use remains unchanged.

• Any modification or change to the firmware is prohibited.

That to me suggests that Garmin may not actually be permitted to release firmware updates for the device, even if they wanted to. I'd assume this would be linked to their FDA approval - to avoid having two versions of 'the same' medical device giving different results.

• Clearly people are having different experiences with the Index BPM regarding accuracy. As I also posted in First Impressions I have found the Index BPM to be providing similar readings to my older Omron unit. I also had my annual health check up today and my Index BPM reading at home was almost identical to the reading the nurse took with her Omron device. (116/77 vs 117/75).

I am not sure what would be driving the different experiences, presumably some will be user error, while some could be that the device just doesn't provide accurate readings for every individual based on body size/shape/and other physiological aspects.

If you are able to purchase the Index BPM from somewhere where it is easy to return if it doesn't work for you, then I would try it and see how it works for you