Accuracy of readings?

I have been using the index bpm for about a week now.  How are others finding accuracy compared to other units?. 

I am questioning the accuracy of mine.  Readings have been significantly higher than my older unit.  Today I visited physician and we compared results.  The Garmin was showing 158/106, the nurse was getting 132/84.

• It could be a design issue, it could be a QC issue.  Unfortunately,  unlike units used in a professional setting,  Garmin does not provide a certificate of calibration with each unit.  

What does surprise me moreso, based on what some have reported,  is that owners who contact Garmin support are being told they must be using it incorrectly rather than being offered a prompt, no cost, exchange.

• Ouch really??? I am glad I returned mine. 

• What I found out with my Index BPM, was that I had to take two readings. The first was off. For example this morning my Diastolic was off, and the second reading was in line with my other blood pressure monitor.

• I would take 3 readings and all there were off. Should be recalled and issue fixed.

• I had to take two readings.

I always use the 3X setting. When your name comes up, long press the middle/heart button until you see 3 heart icons.

Takes about 5 minutes, with 1 minute in between each reading.

This matches very closely with my Omron. I would contact Garmin Support, if you haven't already, as there seems to be some BPMs out there that are faulty, based on forum posts.

• Mine has consistently reported high, sometimes ridiculously high compared to other machines. I also compared mine to 2 machines in the doctors office and the doctor did a manual test. All were +30 mm/HG high. It has consistently misread my BP for 2 months. It doesn't consistently read off by the same amount, but it is consistently high. All in all it makes this completely worthless.

• Also worth noting that support was useless and claimed that I must be using it wrong. Absolutely horrible customer service.

• Interesting...my systolic is typically reading +10 over my omron, diastolic aligns. My main reason for getting this was to have data in Garmin Connect, but now it appears we can manually enter data as well. This one might be going back.

• I do clinical data analysis and one of the quality measures we assess is hypertension blood pressure mgmt.  Blood pressure measurements are the most common irregular measurement you can take.  Our Welch Allyn spot vitals machines are calibrated at the factory yet people blame them for false readings all the time when compared to manual measurement- yet when measured appropriately they are spot on.

Sit for at least 5 minutes prior to taking measurement.

Go to the restroom first.

Don't cross your legs.

Keep arm level with heart.

Don't talk.

Fit strap snugly on arm and not on top of clothing.

Blood pressure fluctuates from second-to-second even without all of those steps taken.  Personally, I wait 3-5 minutes and take several measurements and whatever the lowest recorded is what I consider my BP.  That is the same way the actual NCQA quality measure reports bp management.  So take it several times until it is low.  Someone with hypertension has a consistently high bp.

• Thanks 

Some of these suggestions/requirements are mentioned in the manual. I usually relax and let my heart rate get down to near resting level and think happy thoughts. Slight smile

Index BPM Owners Manual - Tips for Getting a Good Measurement (garmin.com)

Tips for Getting a Good Measurement
    The Index BPM device displays your results for few seconds and automatically powers off.

• Read all of the instructions before measuring.
    • Avoid eating, smoking, or exercise before measuring.
    • After sliding the cuff strap onto your arm, relax for at least 5 minutes before measuring.
    • Use the same arm each time you measure.
    • Measure at a consistent time of day.
    • Avoid tight or bulky clothing that could constrict blood flow.
    • Avoid talking during measurements.
    • Avoid distractions during measurements.