This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

First impressions

Got it! My Index BPM arrived today, straight from Garmin. I was pleasantly surprised that it shipped ahead of Garmin's estimated schedule. I'm amazed that I'm the first to post here about actually having it, and that I haven't seen any reviews anywhere yet! I seem to be the first!

First impressions:

• Normal Garmin gray box
  • Made in China, like the Index S2 smart scale, but unlike most of Garmin's products which are made in Taiwan
  • Included Duracell batteries are also made in China
  • Cuff is somewhat heavy and feels sturdy and durable
  • I'm a thin guy but not tiny. I was toward the smaller side of using the cuff, with a lot of fabric left over. You'd have to have huge biceps/triceps for the cuff to be too small.
  • Pairing with Garmin Connect via Bluetooth was quick and easy, as was setting up Wifi.
  • It was easy to take a measurement, but my very first measurement did not sync with GCM and is missing. The second measurement, a few minutes later, synced to GCM.
  • Like the Index S2, it syncs via Wifi. Unlike the Index S2, you can also reconnect to Bluetooth to sync and to change settings. (On the Index S2, after initial setup, sync is exclusively via Wifi.)
  • Settings in GCM include Appearance (just your name or initials), User settings (Gender, weight, height, birthdate), General (just Wifi), and Manage Users.
  • There's nothing on the device or in GCM about firmware version or firmware updates, and I wasn't prompted to do an update. GC Web says software version is 1.05.
  • In GCM, the blood pressure card showed in my My Day after the second, successfully synced measurement, at the bottom of the list. You can then rearrange the cards as usual.
  • Blood pressure is also available in the Health section of GCM, and in the Daily Summary of Garmin Connect Web.
  • I'm not using multiple users so I can't comment on that.

Honestly, I wasn't in the market for a blood pressure monitor - I got this because I always like putting more health data in Garmin Connect!

I'll add more later if I have more to add. Add your own thoughts or questions!

• I have around the same resting heart rate, but never has this come up as an issue.

• Can confirm that Omron will give you errorcode E5 if the RHR dips under 40.

• From 2017. Are you serious. Even Garmin must have implemented that.

• i got mine today. setup was ok but for some reason it didn't want to connect to my wifi network on the first attempt. or the second. or the 3rd. on the 4th attempt appeared to freeze but after pulling the batteries i got it to connect with no issues after that. also was able to invite my wife to add her account and no issues there. it made no mention of fw updates or even that it was checking for one. they should think about adding that upon initial setup if just for peace of mind.

idk it seems pretty accurate to me. really accurate actually (again, got it today so only 4 readings) in line with what i see from my other devices and it seems more accurate than my withings bpm core which is consistently WAY too high. it shows the wifi symbol and seems to upload to gc right away

as far as fit, idk what ppl are complaining about regarding cuff size, it's perfectly fine. exact same size as the withings and as a powerlifter with...large...biceps, it fits me with plenty of room to spare. the metal adjustment bar might take some getting used to as it's a bit odd compared to the withings. not sure if it's tight or if i'm just adjusting it wrong but it's weird. hard to explain and i should probably use it more before i comment further but adjusting it between me and my wife seems to take longer than with the others. again, have to use it more to see

readings all showed up in connect right away in the health section, but it didn't appear in the my day card until hours later. 

anyway, good stuff so far. i'm happy after 1/2 day lol. i wish it came with a storage bag or some place to put it after use. for now i just lay it in the box it came with. will post again if anything comes up