Firmware 3.80 spikes and drop-outs

My Vector 3's have been bulletproof since purchase 3 months ago. I've never experienced drop-outs or spikes.

Since updating them two days ago to 3.80 they no longer function as a usable power meter.

I've noticed spikes and drop-out appear related to both large change in cadence (coasting/spin) and power (accelerations from corners). Steady operation seems to settle things until changes occur.

• The initial update appeared on my EDGE 530 but wouldn't complete via the edge
  • Updated finally through Garmin Connect Android App.
  • Have reset pedals (removed batteries)
  • Batteries are only a week old and are lightly oiled per the manual
  • Disable Cycling Dynamics - no effect
  • Tried to disable TE/PS - Change didn't seem to be applied

Has anyone else had similar problems?

• I ended up doing a complete overhaul of the pedals, cleaning contacts with alcohol and stripping and regreasing the spline and bearings.  This, along with the auto zero reset seems to have done the trick.

• Having the same issues as this since upgrading to 3.8. Why has Garmin not responded on how to fix, or told us how to roll back the software update? I need a fix asap, Ironman 70.3 in 4 weeks and need my power meter working for training. Grrrrrr

• Same problem here. All was good for more then an year and now plenty of drop-outs and spikes. Updated to 3.8 via Garmin Connect - new batteries - two different devices recording the same problems (Edge 1030 and Zwift via Ant+ key). Is there a way to roll back?

• I have same exact thing since updating to 3.80.  Disabling auto zero seems to fix it.  Would be good to get Garmin to acknowledge this issue.

• The following worked for me (for about two weeks):

1. Turn off auto zero in the Vector settings.  Reboot pedals by removing batteries for 20 seconds each.  Reconnect and turn auto zero back on.  While there, do a reset crank angles as well.
    2. Take out the batteries.  Using isopropyl alcohol (the real, 100% stuff) and a cotton cue tip, clean all of the terminal contacts carefully.  Also clean any dust, etc from the compartment.  Clean batteries (or put in fresh ones) and add a dab of mineral or baby oil to the battery contact surfaces.

im starting to get dropouts again, so I’m going to do 2. again soon to hopefully fix it.

• Just an update that my pedals have been performing flawlessly since my last post. I really only had 2 rides with dropouts right after upgrading the firmware, but since disabling auto-zero (and re-enabling it) they've been as good as before. I haven't touched the batteries at all and all I really did to fix them was spin the pedals slowly while the bike was hanging up and play around with zero offset and install angles settings on the head unit. My totally unfounded theory is that there is some kind of uninitialised register or calibration value stored that somehow needs cleared post update. Other users may also be experiencing power supply issues due to bad battery contact as a coincidence.

• After two months of testing I am going to concede that the issue is unlikely firmware related.

I have found that spikes and drop-outs are dependent upon the condition of the electrical contacts for the batteries.

While undesirable, if all electrical contacts are cleaned every 1-2 weeks with cotton buds using isopropyl alcohol and then redressed with a light oil, this issue is manageable.

My specific problem was related to a coincidental battery change a week earlier, which replaced the recommended Energizer LR44's with some cheap ones. These seemed a bit undersized by comparison and this would likely accelerate the fretting related drop outs seen. Returning to the recommended Energizers and regular maintenance appears to resolve this issue competently.

• FYI. Garmin now officially suggest 3 kind of battery (I have just read somewhere on garmin.com. Also whoever has pedal earlier than 2019 Jan they may have older battery cover, so they should ask Garmin to send a new one / replace it .): 
    1) LR44 - you need 2 to each side
    2) CR1/3N - you need 1 per side
    3) SR44 - same as LR44, so 2 per side and this is better performing on cold weather conditions.

• Hello, I think I had this problem, I installed the updates while connected to both GC and Edge and I think it was wrongly installed or something strange happened. The connection with the power meter now looks to be VERY delayed and it has a lot of spiked in readings ...

Do you have any idea how can I revert this please?