This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Light Network issues

I have an Edge 530 (6.0.0) and an UT-800 / RTL-515 combo. When using only one of them, the light network is formed pretty quickly but when I try using both of them, it goes into some sort of loop where it says that the network is formed but then one of them drops out and the whole circus starts over again. I already tried removing and adding the sensors again but no go. I noticed some other threads on the issue but no apparent solution.

I can't recall this being that much of an issue before. Not sure if it started with the 6.0.0 or with some firmware update on the lights themselves.

• Yes. It's practically impossible to test every combination of 3rd party hardware, no matter how profile compliant. Especially with stuff that joins/disconnects/reconnects etc.

• Amazing. Simply spinning the wheel appears to make my Edge 1030 plus form the light network with UT800 and RTL515 quickly and every time rather than 1 out of 100. Thanks Slight smile

@Garmin; Please fix this bug!

• So glad this kludge worked for you too. I discovered this ‘trick’ when I rolled my Trek out of its niche in my garage before powering up the Edge 830 one day. My usual routine was power it all up before I moved the Trek. I wondered why the light network formed reliably outside the garage, but not inside. It turned out it was because at least one sensor (the speed sensor) was active before I turned on the radar and light.   It took a few brain cycles to put 2 and 2 together and figure this out.  Anyway, happy riding. Now, if I could only get better at unclipping before I slow down I would not fall over so often.  I’ve put new iSSi pedals on (flat on one side, SPD on the other side. Hopefully that will help. 

• Actually, I think the "Ant logging"-stuff Garmin support suggested also works but you actually have to take a ride with it. Strange workaround, nevertheless

• Many thanks for that hint, OldGuy! Yesterday and today I wasted around three hours by trying to configure the Edge 830 with my UT800 and RTL515. Either it worked with the UT800 or with the RTL515, but never with both together. Now, after reading your post, I went to the bike and tested it with the speed sensor - and it works! Thanks again!

I hope that Garmin manage to fix this issue soon. It's really sad that components from the same manufacturer don't play together as designed.

• Yeah! Glad it helped.

• So glad I found this thread. The UT800/RTL515 integration was driving me to insanity! Spun my wheel and spun the crank to get those sensors going first and voila! Thanks to all that troubleshooted this issue. Garmin needs to fix this!

• Small but significant victories keep us all going!  Glad my posting helped. Happy riding!

• Thanks so much for this tip.

I had a bontrager headlight and tried to use it with the rtl515 but the light network refused to form. So I said maybe if I buy a garmin headlight it would work better since it would be all garmin. But I had the same issue when I got the UT800.

Just went into the garage and spun up my stages power meter and then turned on my edge 830 and the light network formed right away. Even with the bontrager headlight!

I know there are lots of lines of code but I'm still surprised garmin didn't catch this issue internally. Seems like a very common setup that has this issue. Hope they add it to their testing soon and release a fix.

Thanks again OldGuy!

• Hi all, I’ve had similar issues, My sensors include: Fenix 6 pro, Vector 3, UT800, RTL515 (Varia Radar) and an Edge 530. I had success figuring things out today. Adding some heat to this thread in case my takeaways are useful to anyone.

• I first reset my 530. I did this by installing a beta,
    • I re-set up my 530 in GC, but made sure to NOT transfer over my sensors
    • I re-added my sensors 1 by 1
    • First, I added my Fenix HR
    • Then, I added the UT800 by searching for LIGHTS while it is in pairing mode, which connected (the RTL515 was off). At this point, the light network formed, and my Fenix was still connected
    • I turned OFF my UT800
    • Then, I added the RTL515 by searching for LIGHTS while in pairing mode. It too connected, and I could see battery, etc. 
    • I turned on my UT800, and viola, things worked in terms of forming the light network. 
    • Note: my Fenix was still broadcasting HR
    • Lastly, I added my V3 in the same way. Everything stayed active. 

Now, I just make sure that my Fenix is broadcasting HR before I turn on my edge, and all seems to work. This is a hassle that Garmin needs to fix, though. I agree with the earlier note that issues seem to stem from sensor order / stacking. Or, my luck was just strange voodoo. Either way, best of luck.