This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Light Network issues

I have an Edge 530 (6.0.0) and an UT-800 / RTL-515 combo. When using only one of them, the light network is formed pretty quickly but when I try using both of them, it goes into some sort of loop where it says that the network is formed but then one of them drops out and the whole circus starts over again. I already tried removing and adding the sensors again but no go. I noticed some other threads on the issue but no apparent solution.

I can't recall this being that much of an issue before. Not sure if it started with the 6.0.0 or with some firmware update on the lights themselves.

• I do have the same issue. It is not possible to have UT800 and RTL516 in the same light network.

• I do have the same issue. It is not possible to have UT800 and RTL516 in the same light network.

• Well, actually it is, it just takes a long time. If I turn on them both and let them idle for 5-10 minutes and then turn on my Edge, they are both in the same light network and working as expected.

• Thanks,

I deleted both from the edge. First I paired the RTL516 as light (and radar comes also) then checked for function, switched off and on edge and paired the UT800 (added sensor in the network menu) and waited 15 minutes and it works.

But biking in the evening or night means waiting 10 to 15 minutes befor you can use both RTL516 and UT800. Perhaps it is better to deactivate the UT800 and operate the UT800 manually.

• Well, I contacted Garmin support - I'm not planning on just accepting it. The Edge 530, UT-800 and RTL-515 are all Garmin products and should work together unless one of them violates the ANT+ certification. They should work as promised and advertised.

• Usually it takes that long to prepare for the ride anyway but it's annoying that you have to do such workarounds. And the strange thing is that the devices aren't capable of talking to each other so they shouldn't need to "calm down" when they are not talking to a head unit.

Besides, I though that the RLT was really two implementations of ANT+ profiles (light and radar) and could really be considered two separate units that happens to reside inside the same casing and there really shouldn't be anything preventing the light-part from participating in any light network...

• Yes, the same issue has been there for me too.   I've only had my Edge 830 for about a month.  One thing I notice is that if the speed sensor has been activated and shows as paired with the Edge 830, the Light Network forms right away.  When the UT800 and the RTL 515 are the only sensors active, then the light network never seems to form.  Once the light network is formed, and the radar is also active, everything is stable.  So what I've started doing is spinning the front wheel to activate the speed sensor, start up the UT800 and RTL515 and then the EDGE 530.  By the time I have my shoes on, helmet strapped on, etc.  everything is up and running.  In the past, when I just started the electronics up before I moved the Trek and activated any other sensor, the Lighting Network never formed.  Now, it does.  It seems that having at least one other sensor active helps.  It probably matters in what order sensors were activated but I haven't tested that.  I would rather be riding than fooling around with things that should just work.  I hope Garmin is looking at their code to understand where the problem is and then fix it please.

• Thanks for the tip, I'll try activating the power meter and tickle the di2 and see if it speeds things up. I agree, with all components involved being Garmin, stuff should just work(tm). I contacted support and they gave me some hidden setting to try:

Battery Saver Mode must be turned off before following the steps below

1. From the Menu of the device scroll down and select Settings

2. Scroll down and select System

3. Select Display

4. Disable Auto Brightness

5. From the display settings, highlight and select Brightness

6. Long press the Lap button
      7. Select Diagnostics

8. Select ANT Logging

9. Enable ANT RX TX

10. Go for another ride with the same sensors and phone connected

11. Save the ride when you are done

I asked if it produces some sort of log which they need but they haven't responded yet. At least activating they logging did no wonders (surprise, surprise).

Well, no risk of stumbling on that hidden menu by accident

• It actually worked! Spun the crank and changed gears, started the Edge and it found the di2 and the power meter. Started up the UT-800 and it formed a light network in a few seconds. Started up the RTL-515 and it actually reformed the light network with both lights in a few seconds, just as expected!

I'll add that information to my Garmin test case.

• Whoa!  Sometimes “OldGuys” have wisdom. As someone who has developed millions of lines of code, I have some sympathy for Garmin.  Awesome that this simple step helped!