This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Varia Radar datafield

This data field was previously sent to the Garmin App Store for approval. However, despite it getting Garmin's attention being an innovative data field and "first they've seen". It was. not approved and the provided answer was that it featured a "vehicle tracking" function (which is basically what the Radar is doing) that is not allowed.

I was told however that I am free to distribute the data field / Use it personally via "side loading". 

https://www.facebook.com/100686248205265/videos/1565452496949137

Top Replies

All Replies

• Thanks for sharing and sorry to hear that. I watched the video clip and was wondering whether you could explain what functionality this datafield has that isn’t already covered by built in Edge support when paired with an RTL and/or Connect IQ datafields such as Tail Light Field, RadarLight, My Bike Radar Traffic, or Varia Radar Battery?

• 1) places the vehicle tracking graphic in the centre of the display. Not overlaid on the left or right and on top of the existing data field. (the firmware based graphic will obscure any data field texts which is under the graphic and you will see less of your text. this is especially problematic on smaller displays like watches)

2) Tail Light Field, RadarLight, My Bike Radar Traffic, or Varia Radar Battery? 

These data fields does not provide vehicle tracking capability. meaning you are not able to see the vehicles coming. This data field also has a battery gauge integrated into it.

Implementing a "vehicle count" is doable as well tho I currently have no interest in counting the # of vehicles that passed me. (also the app is rejected so I stopped adding new features that users MIGHT want and only on features I want. lolz While I look at what other solutions I can implement to release this data field w/o going thru the Garmin App Store)

3) this is a true datafield which user can choose and select data that would like to see on the screen, un-obscured by the firmware graphic overlay and still have vehicle tracking (refer pic above. This is especially bad on watches and you want to utilise a >4 data field per screen ConnectIQ app)

4) support for devices that natively does not support the radar in firmware.(but supports connectIQ) eg: Fenix 3 series. Forerunner or the Vivoactive or such. 

5) ability to configure/select the tones which is used to alert the rider of vehicles coming. 

6) ability to (easily) silence the alerts at times / areas of heavy vehicular traffic. (One can just navigate away from the datafield to another screen and the alerts would be gone until you navigate back to it. Alerts and sounds are present only when the datafield is in use). There is also a feature I call "alert throttling" wherby one can reduce the number of audible alerts by throttling it when in areas of high vehicular traffic such that it doesn't alert you at every vehicle the radar detects coming behind you eg: you give it an interval of 10secs. if there are no cars coming behind you within 10secs, reset the audio to alert again. An extreme example would be to set it to 5min. If there are no cars coming behind you after 5mins, then only consider that path as a low vehicle path and start alerting you if it detects new cars. Otherwise, shut up the alerts and only show the graphic on the screen)

7) ability to utilise the radar on any activities other than the default cycling profile. (runners for instance has asked for this functionality)

• Sounds great. Would like to test it! Is it possible to show the radar battery level in %?

• Unfortunately. Since can’t upload to the garmin App Store, while I can distribute it, users won’t be able to do any “user settings” changes. Hence, nothing on the data field can be configured by the user. I’m trying to see how to solve that. 

the radar batt is based on what the radar outputs from ANT+. no batt percentage. Only numeric level. 1/2:3/4/5 like that. 

• Ah, ok, I did not think about, that users won‘t be able to configure the data fields. What a pitty, that Garmin did not approve it. 

• I'm using it on my own personal device and it works a treat. I still have my old Fenix3 watch and using that as an out front mount computer (as I have EDGE device) and it is great to be able to see the vehicle tracking and audible alerts front and centre instead of not being able to hear / see /feel it when it's worn on the wrist.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 3 years ago in reply to Nikeow
    users won’t be able to do any “user settings” changes.

could you import settings from a .dat file on the watch

or a technique like the M2 watch face designer uses when I am not mistaken ?

special circumstances need special solutions Slight smile

happy & safe sporting

• I'm not sure one can do an "import" of sorts.

As to the M2 importation of a "string" - this also means that the users needs to have access to "user settings" which is exactly what M2 designer app does. (also  - take note that the M2 designer app is published into the Garmin App Store and hence have access to "user settings")

I'm currently learning IOS development and trying to see if I can learn enough to create an IOS App, Pay Apple the USD99 for listing the App on the Apple App Store and let users access to the PRG file via dropbox or such. (the IOS App will do the user settings instead).

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 3 years ago in reply to Nikeow

thank you for the reply

for test purpose(side loading) you could also provide,distribute the settings file together with the prg file Slight smile

• or for test purpose, create setting files for each setting available ?

success with the development Thumbsup

happy & safe sporting

• I’d like to try it on my F3HR. Is it added as a data field/page etc?