This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

No longer forming Light Network

My Edge 830 is paired to a radar and a front light.  The radar shows as a seperate radar in sensors and as a light alongside the front light in the light network. 

Until recently this all worked very well,  however...

The Edge says "forming light network " on start up but never stops. I now have to turn on my rear and front lights manually as they no longer function from the Light network. 

The radar works fine. 

I have deleted everything and repaired twice now with no joy. What gives? Has something changed with recent firmware for the edge ?

• Thanks for the info, no doubt it will save many more people than just me the frustration of taking the calm and determined approach to get it working at my desk indoors! Goodness knows why the lights network is dependent on the other sensors, to my mind it should be able to complete with just the lights in range. They probably only tested it with just one light, and never bothered to see what happens when they connect two! Just shows, even going for the top-of-the-range and paying the premium for a 1030+, RTL515 and UTL800 doesn't mean you get what you pay for!

GARMIN - please test with two lights, and release an update ASAP that does not rely on other unrelated sensors to be in range.

• Is the workaround with activating the speed sensor still necessary to get a connection to the light network or has this issue been fixed in one of the latest updates for the Edge 830 (v7.xx)?

• I guess not as I just had to do the same procedure in order to get the Network going.

Nevertheless, with cadence and speed sensors connected, the Network is formed instantly.

• Hi, I just wanted to say thanks for this advice. For me the light network would not form as well as the radar. Trying to troubleshoot at my desk was killing me and I wasted a couple of hours. 

As soon as I connected my other sensors, it all kicked in and has been fine as long as they are on. 

You saved me sending the Varia back!!

• I wasted several hours at my desk as well. It's unbelieveable that Garmin didn't fix this issue during the winter season.

• Connecting cadence and speed sensors first does work to form light network with Varia. I do still have the issue during a ride some times  light turns off but radar still stays connected. I now have given up and have light network disabled so flashing Varia light does not turn off randomly-A safety issue.

• Thank you, this was very helpful!  Was able to get my light/radar going easily with your steps.

• Ok I just want to say thank you for this thread.

I was finally able to pair both the Varia radar 515 and the ut800 headlamp both in the light network after about 10 tries on my Garmin EDGE 530! I opted to go into settings> System> Reset Default Settings.

Once I booted it all up I was able to pair the two within seconds!

• Thank you for this detailed explanation!

• So what I just discovered, in that this seems to be a fairly common issue, that has been unresolved by Garmin, was that if the Light Network wouldn't form, was to remove ALL sensors.  It appears that Varias like to be paired first, check to see if it holds.  Then add the next sensors, each time making sure the Varias stick.  Painful.  I don't understand why Garmin can't seem to fix this issue after a year or more.  The Edge 530 is a huge improvement over the Edge 520Plus, but generally Garmin can't seem to get the software to function.  It is disconcerting that aviation uses Garmin....