This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

No longer forming Light Network

My Edge 830 is paired to a radar and a front light.  The radar shows as a seperate radar in sensors and as a light alongside the front light in the light network. 

Until recently this all worked very well,  however...

The Edge says "forming light network " on start up but never stops. I now have to turn on my rear and front lights manually as they no longer function from the Light network. 

The radar works fine. 

I have deleted everything and repaired twice now with no joy. What gives? Has something changed with recent firmware for the edge ?

• I was so excited with the new Varia, but just like you I’m having the same issues and it’s very frustrating.  I tried calling but the hold time is more than an hour and chat is not available due to Covid.   My only option was to send an email but who knows where it will end up.  

I miss my old rtl510.   It worked perfectly and now I’m frustrated with this new device.  How is it supposed to keep us safe if the damn thing doesn’t connect.  

• I am having the same problem. Everything was fine until about 1-2 weeks ago. (Wasn't there a Varia update recently? Maybe this is from that update?)

• My suggestion, having just had this issue is to :-

1 - remove radar sensor if already on edge

2 - press small button on back of 510, right of usb connection, use a pen hold in for 10 seconds

3 - power up 510, the (bluetooth light should now have changed to mauve/purple)

4 - go to sensors on edge, select add sensor, select light, it will pop up with radar

5 - select radar, ADD.

you should see light network forming, once connected you should have both Lights and Radar in sensor list.

Highlighting / pressing light sensor will allow you to change light frequency by hitting network etc.

• We'll see how long this lasts, but that did the trick, thank you - you're a genius!

• Well, didn't last long at all. 1 ride. Just flat out not reliable. Super disappointing.

• My RTL515 on Garmin Edge 830 does exactly the same thing. I have to remove the Radar/Lights sensor from the 830, shut them both down and then start everything back up and re-pair. Garmin gear is great when it works, but just so unreliable. It's a disgrace for the money you pay.

• same issue here with a brand new 515 and a brand new ut800 on my new-ish edge 830 fully updated firmware.  i paid extra to stick with all garmin equipment, figuring that would make things all work well together.  so annoying.

• Same here with new RTL 515 and an Edge 1030. Stability even gets worse when a headlight (ION 200 RT) is added to the network. Very frustrating... 

• Just been through all this. The only way I have found is Start up any other sensor IE cadence/speed/ heart.

switch on Edge 830 and let it find the sensors 

Switch on light unit. 

by the time my shoes are fastened and the garage is locked the light and radar are connected

• I agree with the response from Dave_H. Several months ago I spent a lot of time troubleshooting the light network on my Edge 530. My light network includes a Varia RTL515 and Bontrager Ion 200 RT / Flare RT light set. I also have Garmin speed and cadence sensors. I found that the light network would not form until after the speed and cadence sensors were already found by the Edge 530. Basically, before a ride I pick up my bike so the rear wheel is off the ground and turn the crank a few revolutions to wake up the speed and cadence sensors. After a few seconds (sometimes up 30 seconds), the Edge 530 will connect to the speed and cadence sensors and THEN it will proceed to setting up the light network. Everything on the light network is controlled by the Edge 530 so I don't need to manually turn on the Varia or Bontrager lights (they turn on automatically and flash a few times after the light network is set up and then turn off until I start a ride). If for some reason my Edge 530 can't find the speed and cadence sensors, which is usually because I forgot to wake them up, the computer will say "forming light network" across the top, but it'll never actually form. After waking up the other sensors and giving them a chance to connect, the light network almost always forms successfully.

As a note, I made the initial mistake of trying to get everything working while I was sitting at a table in my house with all the components laid out in front of me, but the light network would never form because the computer was still trying to find the speed and cadence sensors, which were still on my bike outside. The key for me was to ensure that the speed and cadence sensors were within range and awake (by turning the crank a few times). Hopefully this helps!