This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Varia RTL511 messes up distance on Edge 510

I've been using my Edge 510 for many years, and on my current bike I have used three devices connected to it (heart rate strap, power meter and speed sensor on the rear hub). This has worked flawlessly, except that the Edge 510 needs to be reformatted once in a while (I think it just corrupts the file system).

For the last handful of rides, I also added a Varia RTL511 to the mix, and it has worked quite well, however something very odd is happening:

After the radar was added, the Edge consistently under-reports the distance. And it's quite bad, for one of my standard routes that is around 48 km long, the Edge reports just 46 km with the radar attached. If I upload to Strava, I have to click the button to have them re-calculate the distance, or else my stats are messed up (average speed, for instance).

Has anyone heard of this before? Could the radar be messing with the speed sensor somehow? I haven't yet tried moving the speed sensor to the front wheel, but I will do that.

• Bring an old thread back to life.  I had this exact problem a few years ago.  Distance started coming up short ONLY when using the radar.  I have since upgraded to an 830 and don’t have any issues.  I recently got a used 510 for my son and connected my radar to it and guess what?   Same problem.   On a 40km ride.  The 510 came up just over 1k short on distance.  I really think it lacks processing power to track distance accurately.  As was already stated, when uploaded to strava, you can adjust the distance and this always brings it back up.  So this seems to be a general 510 problem.  Likely due to old software or something.  Pretty annoying.   That’s for sure!

• Thanks for confirming. That was my conclusion as well, so I stopped using the radar. I haven't yet bought a new computer, but I will, at some point. Just a bit annoying, since the 510 is still doing what I really need it to. Except working with the radar without becoming overloaded.

• Does the 510 have a recording interval setting that can be switched between "smart" and "1 second"?  If so, you can try switching it to 1 second and see if that makes a difference.

• Yes, it does, and that's what I am always using (1 second). I really don't like the "smart" interval, and never have. As DRLUKE12 said, this is a case of the Edge 510 being overloaded with too much data for it to handle.