This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Varia rtl510 I'd like an "always on " mode

the radar functionality is absolutely fantastic, that's why I always turned it on. 

But when riding in the city i would like to switch the tail light to stay "permanently on", so no flashing even when a vehicle approaches.

i could not find anything in the manual on this issue - I cycled through all modes but the Varia always switches from "on-mode" to "blinking-mode" when a car approaches from the rear.

i would appreciate any suggestions 

• Hi aclass :)

The small radar on the RTL510 is actually a very low power device. With these units most (>90%) of the battery drain on the unit will be from the light portion. So then the saving in a radar off mode won't be very big.

• You're exactly right about the battery in the radar unit Jaco.  My complaint is the battery in my cycling computer, 520+. Each time the radar senses a vehicle it taxes the head unit battery by beeping and turning on the backlight. It really decreased the battery life of my 520+.

It would be nice to have the option of disabling the radar but keeping the light whenever you're in a high traffic area to prevent sucking the life out of your head unit battery.

Thanks for the responses,   safe riding!

• Oh I see, my apologies. A workaround to do what you want though could be to disable the radar in sensor settings and manually turn it on using the button.

It is a bit awkward because you'd need to stop to do this, but that would mean the light works as usual and the edge isn't trying to interpret targets.

To connect the radar again, you'd just need to enable the radar in sensor settings again.