This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Varia rtl510 I'd like an "always on " mode

the radar functionality is absolutely fantastic, that's why I always turned it on. 

But when riding in the city i would like to switch the tail light to stay "permanently on", so no flashing even when a vehicle approaches.

i could not find anything in the manual on this issue - I cycled through all modes but the Varia always switches from "on-mode" to "blinking-mode" when a car approaches from the rear.

i would appreciate any suggestions 

• I agree.
    I read in the manual about a "ERG" mode but I dont know how to get to it or my device doesnt have it?  I need the ERG mode to save my 520 battery life on a busy road or in the city.

• What do you mean by ERG mode?  

ERG has specific meaning when it comes to bike trainers, but I've never heard it mentioned in relation to the RTL line.

• I think that I misused the term. I just checked the manual for the 510 and it calls the mode "Standby", check out page 4 of the manual under Tailight Modes. 
    It only mentions the Standby mode as a potential but it doesnt explain the behavior. However, it's probably me and I'm missing something.

• Standby mode is when the Varia is not completely powered down with the button, but the bike computer is switched off. Then you'll see the blue LED flashes every once in a while. It's a very low power mode which supposedly lasts for weeks or months (like turning a TV off with the remote). If you fire up your connected bike computer again with the Varia in standby, it should come alive without needing to be 'switched on'.

• Much obliged alexeames! 
    Now I'm back to lobbying for a light on/radar off mode to salvage computer battery when riding in a urban area.

• interesting.. i don't think there's a way to turn off the radar to have the light kept on. This request is actually diff from the one where I see ppl asking to just have the light stay permanently on (vs flashing when a car comes by).

i guess turning off the RADAR would do as well ya..

• Agreed.  I would think that the "warning" flashes associated with sensing an approaching vehicle would not occur if the radar was disabled.

• looking at the ANT+ device profile for the Radar from thisisant.com I do not see any reference about being able to turn off the radar and keep the lights on. 

I would have also gone to look at the light device profile but sadly even after 4yeaes, that profile is still not made available for general public and needs a USD1500 members access fee. 

• It sure would be a nice option to have.

• I understand that you're looking for a 100% solid mode, but the current "solid mode" is quite close to this. The light is always on when no cars and it pulses (rather than flash) when cars approach. You can access this by short pressing power button to cycle between light modes.