This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

RTL 511 - All is great except group rides

There are so many pros of this back light I wonder how I could bike without it in the past.

Not only is quite bright and lets me know when a vehicle approaches but it also makes cars overtake me somewhat further. I've done the experiment with other rear lights and the conclusion : changing flash intensity and rate invites cars to overtake you further from your bicycle. Don't know why nor care to know, it is just a plain conclusion based on multiple observations.

It is also awesome to know there is a car behind when you are going down a mountain and wind doesn't let you hear anything !

That being said, there is a little problem with this light : group rides.

When other cyclists are behind the light can quickly become annoying and can even reduce their visibility as they are blinded at night.

Some will argue say ' Don't you think it is cool for other cyclists to know when cars are coming ?'

Well, yes and no. It is cool to know but if the price to pay is having your yes blasted by a very strong light, well, the answer is 'no'.I have ridden with other guys who have the same light and it is too bright when you are riding behind, specially at night. 

I have an Edge 830 and I have tested all the possibilities to try to stop flashing and it is impossible. The only option is :  Ride with the radar on and light off and use a second back light. This makes no sense.

I would like to know if someone has any info about Garmin being aware of this and if they plan to give us the option of a group ride in the light though an update.

Cheers!

• I understand where you are coming from, but I've only had the complete opposite sentiments, both being without the varia before, and now when I have it. It gives people behind you extra information, especially in windy/fast rides where you can't hear anything coming up behind you. It's even better when it's dark, I agree it is a bit too bright at times, but you bought the light to feel safe(r) on your rides, who would have thought that you could share that feeling with people riding behind you.

I guess the only downside is that you 'get to pull the group' more often Slight smile

• Just looking at the specs sheet, and the rated light is 20 lumens in solid, 29 lumens night flash, and 65 lumens day flash.

So solid would be the least bright, and also the least distracting riding in a bunch.

• The problem is when it locks onto a car, it flashes. 

The RTL is not cool in group rides. Eye blazer. I run mine with light off and use other lights for visibility.

• Ducttape?

Sorry I didn't wanted to offend, but ...wrap it up or...ride the last in the group

• I understand you. Discussing with other riders I was told that indeed it’d be nice to know when a car approaches from behind but not by getting blind with my light. Once again, it is their opinion and somehow I agree with them.  Riding behind a flashing radar at night not good for your eyes. 
    Wouldn’t it be great to have a group ride option in the radar?

• Thanks for the info about the lumen intensity and modes. 
    is there any lumens info when the light flashes when a car is detected? 
    it is that flashing light that other riders complain about and that I’d like to control.