This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Varia RTL510 "Sensor Error"

I got a Varia RTL510 yesterday and have just taken it out on a 10mile ride, and a few times during the ride a "Sensor Error" message popped up on my Edge display that needed tapping to dismiss. What would this actually mean?
I have an Edge 1000 and the Varia is mounted on my saddle bag loop using a spare quarter turn Edge mount and a band holding it on with a screw through the loop and the mount hole (ground down flat), and my plastic mudguard is clear giving the radar a clear line of sight.
  • Pushing the top right button didn’t change anything. Screen still partially blocked by that error message. I waited till the end of my ride so I could save it, before pushing any other buttons, but as soon as I stopped recording, the error message disappeared.  Still looking for a way to make the error message go away during the ride, without having to stop recording the ride.

Got that error message in the very same geographic location again this morning. There’s a gated community across the street with an automatic gate, I’m guessing there’s some sort of radar device there to allow cars to exit when they approach the gate.

• What software build is on the RTL510?

• Version 3.70 ?  Does that sound right?  I'm not very tech-savvy with this sort of stuff.  I opened the Varia on my Garmin Express app on my laptop and that's what it showed me.  

• That is the latest build. It is strange that you cannot clear the message. I'm assuming that changing to another page does not clear it?

• I’ll try that next, as I said, I’m not that great at operating this thing, and hate the thought of losing my ride recording because I’m playing around with buttons. But I’ll never know until I try, right?

• Whaddya know, that worked!   Lower left button, or the "down" button on my Edge 520...  that cleared it perfectly.  I'll try the "up" button next time it happens to see if that works also.

Thanks for the help.