This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Varia RTL510 "Sensor Error"

I got a Varia RTL510 yesterday and have just taken it out on a 10mile ride, and a few times during the ride a "Sensor Error" message popped up on my Edge display that needed tapping to dismiss. What would this actually mean?
I have an Edge 1000 and the Varia is mounted on my saddle bag loop using a spare quarter turn Edge mount and a band holding it on with a screw through the loop and the mount hole (ground down flat), and my plastic mudguard is clear giving the radar a clear line of sight.
  • Error code 0:9 is a warning about radar saturation. [TABLE="border: 0, cellpadding: 0, cellspacing: 0, width: 768"]
    [TR]
    [TD]Warn the user that the radar is temporarily blind but that it will clear automatically. (Could occur if multiple radar devices are operating in the same proximity)[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Could this possibly occur due to some new cars having front facing proximity/brake assist radars installed? I had this error today, once. It was my first ride with the RTL510 and I was nowhere near any airports.
  • I don't think so as I believe those systems are based on LADAR and not RADAR.
  • I got the same error on Friday when I turned the radar on in a parking lot. After I got out on the road it seemed to work correctly.
  • Some new instances, I got error code 0:9 over and over when I was down on a coastal road going alongside an industrial harbour (no idea if that has anything to do with it) area in VERY slow traffic. It came up every few seconds for about 10 mins before I decided to find a different way to go.
  • Aircraft weather radars and shipping weather/surface detection radars are doppler and very high powered. I could absolutely see them overloading the poor little Varia if they hit it with a high powered sweep. Around the airport you also have the airports own surveillance radar that is even more high powered than the aircraft radar and would be sweeping every few seconds.
  • Hello. What about sensor error radar 0:41?

• 0:41 is a hardware fault. Power cycling the unit should address it. If it still persists you will need to contact Garmin Support.

• Whatever the cause, is there a way to make that notification go away from my Garmin Edge 520 screen during my ride?  It blocks part of the display until I turn it off and back on again, which I’d rather not do in the middle of a ride.

• On the 520 I think you should be able to press the top right button to acknowledge the message.

• Thank you much, I’ll give it a try the next time it happens. I’ve noticed I get that error at a specific corner, a street corner in my downtown area every time I make a right turn at that corner. I rarely get that error any other time.