This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Paring RTL510 as a Light and as a Radar

How can i get the Varia RTL510 paired as a Light and as a Radar. When i paired it´s recognized as a Radar, and the light network if formed with the device as a Radar not a Taillight so auto deceleration mode doesnt´t show. Also if i disable the light also disable the radar, and viceversa too.

Any thoughts?

By the way the same behaviour on Edge 820 and Edge 520 Plus, all software updates applied.

Thanks
Felipe
  • To pair as light you need to but the RTL510 into pairing mode. By default it will pair as Radar without you having to do anything other than switching it on. To pair as a light the unit needs to be put into pairing mode. With the device turned off, hold the device key for 2 seconds to enter pairing mode. The status LED flashes purple, and the taillight turns on. The device is in pairing mode for 5 minutes or until you press the device key.

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/variartl510/EN-US/GUID-83345F4C-DAC5-437D-A10F-1EE92E92B980.html
  • To pair as light you need to but the RTL510 into pairing mode. By default it will pair as Radar without you having to do anything other than switching it on. To pair as a light the unit needs to be put into pairing mode. With the device turned off, hold the device key for 2 seconds to enter pairing mode. The status LED flashes purple, and the taillight turns on. The device is in pairing mode for 5 minutes or until you press the device key.

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/variartl510/EN-US/GUID-83345F4C-DAC5-437D-A10F-1EE92E92B980.html

There is no way i can get the RTL510 paired as a Radar AND as a Taillight. It always pair as a Radar, on the Lights menu Network light is formed as a Radar. NO as a taillight.

Entering in paired mode as you suggest detects Radar, and do the pairing as a Radar, and form the network as a Radar...

Also in Light's menú add a new sensor (light) and type manual number (of the radar) and didn´work.

Also reset the device (hold for 8 seconds)...
  • Felipe, I asked a similar question here, no answer I am afraid.

Yes, but the difference is that i never got paired as a taillight and a radar, always a radar.

The radar and the taillight has the same ANT ID?

Regards,
    Felipe.
  • As far as I'm aware the Radar & Light are one and the same thing. So if it's paired correctly it will show as Radar in sensors & set up the light network with the Radar listed in there. My Edge 1030 shows it as Radar in the Light Network & It works as expected.
    If you're having pairing issues have a look at this post I used it when pairing my RTL510

I don´t know if i got pairing issues, what i know is that the radar pairs as a radar, and the light pairs as a radar, and that's wrong.

1. How do i just use the light and not the radar for example, for saving battery to return to home?
    2. How do we use auto deceleration mode?
    3. How do we just use radar and not light?
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 5 years ago
    hi,

I have your problem even more accentuate by the fact fenix 5X+ does not allow you to change light settings.

so, paired first as Light - shows as Light - and I can configure only Mode "Individual or Auto"
    second pair as Radar - shows as Radar only (the Light dissapears)

I will try to respond to your questions, please adapt the menu to Edge, I'll explain with Fenix menu:

1. I disable from Settings, Sensor, the Radar ( Status - off)
    - so does not pair anymore with the fenix (edge)
    - set the light mode using device key (the button) switching between solid - night flash - day flash - off
    - but the inside radar is not deactivated, will still blink different when cars approaching
    - the only saving in power I see here is in the ANT+ communication with Fenix (Edge) - could be insignifiant or can make the difference
    2. I do not have an answer here, as I did not see this
    3. on Varia button (the Device Key - as shown in the manual), every short push will circle this modes
    - solid mode - night flash mode - day flash mode - standby - solid mode - ...
    - in all this modes the LED will flash blue.
    - (please do not use >2sec push, that will bring Varia in OFF state - LED stops flashing)
    - in standby mode, the light is off but the radar is working, you will see the cars on monitor, so you will be exactly in "no light, but radar" situation.
    ----I use this settings often when I do have mate cyclist behing me

just me,
    robert

• What about the battery time, if you only use the radar (in standby mode (light off))?

In the manual is written:
    “The device does not detect vehicles in standby mode.”

Is the manual wrong?

• Thanks Robert, but sounds more like workaround's that the correct functioning of the taillight.
  • I'm not sure if this is germane to this discussion, but I was told by a Garmin CS agent that you need more than one light to have the "light system" appear as a separate entity on the head unit. My apologies if I'm off base.
  • I'm not sure if this is germane to this discussion, but I was told by a Garmin CS agent that you need more than one light to have the "light system" appear as a separate entity on the head unit. My apologies if I'm off base.

He or She is wrong, you need one light to got the network formed.
  • I don´t know if i got pairing issues, what i know is that the radar pairs as a radar, and the light pairs as a radar, and that's wrong.

1. How do i just use the light and not the radar for example, for saving battery to return to home?
    2. How do we use auto deceleration mode?
    3. How do we just use radar and not light?

On my 520 Plus, Settings> Sensors> Add Sensors> Light. With the RTL510 in pairing mode (hold the power button for 2 seconds until the power button flashes purple), this then immediately formed a light network. It also adds it as a radar. But with the Light Network, you can then set up in individual mode with the light off and radar mode.

The 510 doesn't have an autodeceleration mode, although there is a menu item there from the older version.

To save battery, select the day flash mode (15 hrs versus 6 hrs for night flash and continuous), or turn the light off and just have the radar running.