This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Varia RTL510 vs Update 3.40

Hi all,

Received my Varia RTL510 yesterday, and tried to update to the current firmware. Seems that I am currently stuck on the firmware 3.20. When using Garmin Express it says unplug and restart your device. But it just does not update. Same game with my edge 1030.

Has anyone update to the firmware 3.40 successfully?

Any help is appreciated,
JGF
  • So I got my replacement Varia 510 in and when I plugged it into Garmin Express, it was already at 3.40. I will test it on my next ride and report back if there is still any issues with the 520 Plus dropping or losing the connection.
  • After my failed attempts to update to 3.40 via Garmin Express. Today I got a prompt on my Edge 1030 to update my 510 to f/w 3.4.

I selected Install, the Edge 1030 showed searching then connected.. The update was then performed & the lights on the 510 alternated Blue/Green..... I was getting excited.

The 510 restarted & the Edge 1030 showed a big tick with update complete... woohoo I thought.

I went into the radar settings and looked at the sensor info...low and behold my 510 was ...still on f/w 3.20 & was still indicating that there was firmware update to 3.40 pending....boooooo :(

So I can't update from GE, I can't update from my Edge 1030......I don't really have any other options.
  • Looks like f/w 3.50 has been released to address the update issues. Seems to consist of two updates System & Radar.

I've just updated via GE, which went smoothly. :D Thank You for resolving quickly

For the Edge 1030 users, a new Beta f/w 6.45 has been released, which is supposed to addresses the tone alert volume issues that I've seen reported
  • The software showing the incorrect version was recently fixed with version 3.50. Full change log can be found here.
  • Confirmed: I've also just updated via GE to 3.50, which went smoothly. Thank You for resolving quickly
  • Thank you Garmin support staff!
  • Thanks Garmin support, I have now managed to update to 3.50.

version 3.40 was released to address vehicles behind you and traveling at the same speed, how much more effective is 3.40 over 3.20?
  • My GarminDevice.XML for my Varia RTL500 is empty (0 kb). Is there a way to fix this device so it will connect to Garmin Express for software updates? It won't even connect to GE. It connects properly to the PC (I can see it in File Explorer).

• H,

I know this is an old thread but I now have 2 devices that will not connect to Garmin Express properly.

I have tried updating them via my Edge 810 but that doesnt work. When I connect them to my Win/7/10 pc's Garmin Express usually doesnt see them but when it eventually does, you can register the devices but as soon as you click install the pc's do not recognize them anymore and both cant be updated?

Do you need the xml file from one of them?. Hopefully you can help.

Thanks