This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Express for Mac doesnt see Varia radar

I just got a Varia radar and Garmin Express for Mac doesnt see it when it is plugged into USB. I tried several cables including the one packaged with the radar.
Garmin express works for all my other devices (fenix5s, varia vision, alpha100). Also tried a PC. Any ideas?
  • If you've tried multiple cables & computers, sounds like the unit might be dead.

I would suggest contacting the place you bought it from and ask for a replacement. Otherwise, contact Garmin.
  • I have the radar too and same thing when I use G express...it won't recognize it. What's also happening to me is that it will fully charge but last only an hour or less on a ride.
  • Try restarting your Mac with the device connected. Happens with my 935 on occasion.
  • Mine has been rather unreliable as well. I have always been able to get it to connect; sometimes just quitting and restarting express works, sometimes "wiggling" the cable works. It is definitely not very reliable, but eventually works. Dont need to actually connect very often so that makes it a bit better.
  • I have this problem too. Tried 2 different Macs on Sierra and none detect my Varia Radar.
    I even tried on a bootcamp Windows partition and that also does not work. That software is seriously bugged.
    If enough users report it to the Garmin Support it might get fixed in the next version.
  • The same for me the Varia Tail light identified nicely but the Varia UT 800 did not connect Aldo the light connects fine with my Edge 1000. :(
  • was hoping Garmin would fix the cannot see in Mac issue with my UT800. Very stupid that I need to find an windows PC to check my firmware. any update from Garmin on when we can expect this fix?

thanks

Stefan
  • Stefan, Garmin Express won't detect the UT800 connected to the computer by USB cable as it's not designed to. It will connect this way for charging, but AFAIK the only way to get a data connection to the computer is with an ANT connection (i.e. you need an ANT dongle plugged into your computer).

FWIW, my UT800 connects fine to Garmin Express on my Mac over ANT, but if I try to update it, GE will crash when it's trying to show me the T&Cs I need to accept before the upgrade, though it works fine on my work PC via ANT (though the T&Cs aren't properly formatted). Alternatively, some head units will take care of any UT800 firmware updates, not sure if your Edge 1000 is one of these though.
  • Arfy, have you found a way to update your Varia Radar ? Mine is still not detected. I have tried Windows and Mac OS.
  • I'm assuming that it mounts to the computer and it is just that GE is not finding it. You can try deleting the GarminDevice.xml from the Garmin folder on the RTL and then switching the RTL on and off so that the file gets rebuilt and then see if GE will find it.

When my RTL updated I captured and pulled the software update off it, before it was applied. I have posted it here. Place the file the Garmin folder on the RTL and will apply the update the next time it starts up.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dnqbfdmtbm...PDATE.GCD?dl=0