This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Where's the Front-Facing Version?

I'm surprised that a front-facing version wasn't released at the same time as the RCT715. I wouldn't expect it to have the radar function, but the benefits of a forward-facing camera seem obvious, and arguably greater than a rear-facing one. I'm surprised Garmin wasn't developing the two side-by-side, but if they were I would have expected a joint launch.

I'm sure we will see one eventually, but I'd guess that it's at least a year off (which is a bit disappointing). At least it will hopefully give Garmin chance to learn from RCT715 feedback and maybe incorporate things like 2.7/4K and imagine stabilisation.

• Yes, and they are aware for this problem, waiting for a solution...
    With a 20.000mha Powebank+Virb 30 i´m able to record my trips for days....
    The actual bad thing is forgot to stop the recording at the end of the day or a trip and get a discharged camera at begin of the subsequent day.
  • I have heard that image stabilization can/could create issues with using the recording in legal matters as the video can be considered edited. Came up on another forum. Not even sure they could implement post launch but it should be an option. 

• i use a Drift Ghost XL on the front,   great little thing,  up to 9 hours recording at 1080, but no IS

• I'm hoping for the same. I've been using Cycliq since it came out, front and rear. Hate the units and hate the customer interaction. I'm on my second unit of both. Glitchy. And two of my rear-facing Fly6s have died during torrential rain and dangerous riding conditions. Just when you need them! I've switched to the RCT715 in the rear and have my fingers crossed on Garmin coming out with a front-facing camera/light. On the plus side, the Cycliq Fly 12 did record an accident where a car hit me and the film was indispensable in the court case. Now, if it were only reliable...

• I hear you. For lights etc. I wish they would do a normal and a plus version with more battery capacity. I will eat the 50-100g to not have to worry as often for devices

• Garmin doesn't comment on future product plans. However, it's unlikely we'll ever see another front-facing camera from Garmin - they got out of the business when they stopped developing the VIRB line of cameras. Once they drop a product line, it's unusual for them to pick it back up again.

The RCT715 was an easy mash-up for them: they phoned it in by gluing a Dashcam Mini 2 and a Varia radar together and calling it a day.

Despite complaints about the RCT715 being low-res and unstabilized, it does what a lot of people want: make aggressive drivers think twice, and provide evidence if they cross the line. I've personally had road-ragers notice the camera and back off - mission accomplished.

CHEAP option: a used GoPro Hero 5 Session, tiny and still in use on Tour de France team bikes.

BEST option: GoPro Hero Black 11 Mini or Black 10/11 which produce stunning, stabilized footage. Great comparison between the 11 Mini and earlier Hero 5 Session by GPLama: https://youtu.be/rRiRG5c5jbA?t=210