This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Where's the Front-Facing Version?

I'm surprised that a front-facing version wasn't released at the same time as the RCT715. I wouldn't expect it to have the radar function, but the benefits of a forward-facing camera seem obvious, and arguably greater than a rear-facing one. I'm surprised Garmin wasn't developing the two side-by-side, but if they were I would have expected a joint launch.

I'm sure we will see one eventually, but I'd guess that it's at least a year off (which is a bit disappointing). At least it will hopefully give Garmin chance to learn from RCT715 feedback and maybe incorporate things like 2.7/4K and imagine stabilisation.

• Image stabilization might be nice, but 2.7/4K is probably overkill for a safety camera. That will make it unnecessarily expensive for most people, and lower battery life. I use a GoPro Hero 10 on the front of my bike, along with a Varia UT800 for light. I get about 2 hrs from the GoPro when recording 1080/30. That drops to about 75-90 mins for 2.7k/60 video.

I would like to see a Varia front light/cam, and would sell my GoPro if they do one, but 1080p is good enough.

• Yeah, 1080p would probably be sufficient with IS - and if it is then I guess any additional benefits of 2.7K might not outweigh the potential battery hit. I think compression will play a part here too, it's often the over-compression of dashcam images which make them useless rather than the actual resolution. I've had 1080p dashcams produce more useful images than some cheap 4k ones when it comes to essential detail, such as car number plates.

• I'm running my front-facing GoPro at 1080/30 and the video is just fine. 

• Any word on a front cam yet?  Cycliq released a new "sport" front light/cam.  I've been using multiple batteries with a gopro hero as a 'safety cam', however the long battery life of the Cycliq has me considering selling the gopro and getting the FLY Sport.  

If there is any word on a Garmin front facing "dash cam" light with long battery life, I'd rather hold off until it comes out.  I thought someone mentioned when the 715 was released, they saw a 'front cam' listed in the UI of an Edge model.  I'm not sure how true this is, but was hoping it's a sign and Garmin just made it hidden until release. 

• Not that I've heard, unfortunately.

• After seeing the restock fees and the horrendous customer suppor reviews on cycliq, I'll just keep plugging battery packs into my gopro, and hope that Garmin eventually releases something.

• I have three Cyliq lights that are bricked into failure for no good reason, and a fourth that was replaced because it bricked in less than a month.. The customer service is horrible. They wanted me to send them to Australia, and wouldn't give me any idea if or what repair would cost. They can stick their lights/cams where the sun don't shine.

The month old one they replaced only after I got AMEX to issue a chargeback, because they were very difficult about resolving the problem. They wanted me to send it to Australia so they could look at it. BS, it wasn't even a month old.

• Wow, that's horrible.  I had just read a comment on reddit that cycliq demanded to see the receipt for a very specific memory card, after they told the user to purchase that exact card to fix an issue (which it didn't resolve).  Then they did the same thing that you mentioned - demanded he pay shipping to australia and it was 9 months before he got it back.  
    I'll stop veering off topic, but it's shocking to read all this.  Although I've had some issues with Garmin devices, the customer support has always been top notch, and I feel safe spending money on their devices.

• I´m still using my OLD Virb Ultra 30 with a powerbank that was worked perfectly with my old Edge1030, but with Edge 1040 I've been having problems with no Garmin's response.... forums.garmin.com/.../virb-recording-on-start-timer-broke

• Why don't you contact support about it?