This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Poor battery life

Hi Folks,

So my Rally pedals are cool; there are dropouts but infrequent enough that I can deal with them.

But, battery life from a new pair of CR-1/3N is very low; in the order of 40 hours.  What is your battery life like?

Cheers

Top Replies

All Replies

• No, there is no reaction on that. I will send them back to garmin to check them.

• I am having same problem but with Right pedal. :(. Did u find a fix?

• I have same problem with right pedals 

• I swapped them left and right doors and not the right one drains in a week but the left one is ok for a good bit longer so I just cycle away as if it is an uno left side power meter. Not ideal but no way I’m sending the pedals to garmin for a month…

• Thanks for the info. Yes me as well I'm using as single side when this happen. But disappointed for a so expensive device.

• Hello. I came to this thread because I recently (about 2 months ago) got a XC200.
    Of course, I'm having the battery drain issue. Mine are lasting about 40h.
    Then I realized only one battery is dead, the other one works just fine. 

Then I found out another thing: You can configure the XC200 to communicate (well, I'm using a Edge 830) with either ANT+ or BLE protocols.
    In another site they were explaining the differences between both systems. Long story short, ANT+ is more popular and it has some advantages interns of communicating with more devices at once, while BLE with only one. But here is where it gets interesting. 

When connecting as ANT+, one of the sensors (usually the left one) works as a master, meaning it connects to the right arm, collects the information and it sends it to the Console, in this case my 830. Then it makes sense, the left battery draining much faster because is doing most of the work.
    And when connecting as BLE, either arm connects separately to the console (the 830).

Then, in another place (not related to power meters but to ANT and BLE protocols) says that BLE gets to "go to sleep" more often.

So I'm thinking maybe those "UP to 120 hours" said by Garmin marketing team are when you connect it as BLE instead of ANT+, which is the default setting?

Is just a theory. I'm changing the protocol to BLE now and I will see how it goes.

Power meters ANt vs BLE site:
    https://powermetercity.com/2016/02/14/ant-bluetooth-power-meter/

• Same exact trouble here. Brand new they lasted about 1800 miles. After replacing with brand new batteries twice they lasted about 200 miles each, one week.

• Hi !

Please view THIS article on battery change tips to improve the performance of the batteries, if you still experience short battery life after using the rubbing alcohol and mineral oil as described in the link, please contact your regional Garmin Support at support.garmin.com

• Same issue for me XC200. Original pair of batteries, lasted “long”, no issues. Second and third pairs (Varta) lasted very short, 20-30 hours. In both cases the left battery was the drained ones, voltmeter gave approx 2V, while right battery still had approx 3V. “Fourth” pair I used the two “right” batteries from #2 and #3. Still working.

Will try the cleaning procedure, I also have new battery doors on the way from a support case

• The information in that article is not correct with respect to how Rally does the Bluetooth communication.

Irrespective of whether you use ANT or BLE to communicate between Rally and your head unit, the pedals still use a private ANT channel to communicate to each other. When you set up a BLE link between Rally and your head unit, you still communicate only with the left pedal, and it still aggregates data from both pedals before sending it to the head unit.

Secondarily, the BLE operation is optional, while the ANT+ connection is the default. The pedals permit up to two BLE connections (so you can communicate to a head unit and to Garmin Connect Mobile on your phone simultaneously) but these are set up *in addition* to the ANT+ connection, which remains active even when BLE communication is occurring. Therefore, the ANT+ connection by itself is the lowest power option.