This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Any one else having lots of drop outs?

I have had my Garmin RS200 and my Garmin 830 for about a month now. Sending structured work outs from Training Peaks via Garmin Connect to the 830 and using it to control my 2016 WaHoo KICKR. I can also use Rouvy on my IPAD to control the trainer and then just record the Rally metrics on the 830.

The first few weeks, everything looked perfect in GC. Last week I started noticing a few power and cadence drop outs each ride and it continues to get worse every ride.

Here is today's workout

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/6752400906

Not sure what to try. I get the drop outs if I use Rouvy or the 830 to control the work out. I recorded a short workout today on my  FR945 and it shows the same drop outs too.

It seems that may have coincided with the FR945 beta firmware I installed, but not sure, I will leave my 945 off and a long ways away for my next workout. Not sure if the 945 could cause this or not?

I will submit a ticket, but any suggestions on things to try would be appreciated.

• Has anyone tried to ensure the pedals are properly torqued up (25-30 ft-lbs)?  I was paying attention to drop outs while spinning this AM (and Zwift where the power feedback is instant) and i noticed that i could somewhat avoid dropouts by maintaining very balanced and smooth strokes. When i tried to torque the pedals mine were barely tightened. I didn’t have time to test right after i did that but i will do that and will post an update. 

• Well… that’s not it. Proper torquing doesn’t address this. Back to you, Garmin.  

• I haven't had any dropouts at all with the RS200  connected to my 130 plus mounted on my stem. Even when connected to my MacBook Pro with a Suunto ANT+ dongle 6 ft away its been flawless. Hope it stays like that.

• Have you noticed any Power Phase dropouts as well?  On two different sets of Rally pedals, the PP (both left and right) often drop out even though power is still being displayed. 

• I am on my third set of Rally's. This set is the most stable, but all three sets have had consistent power phase dropouts. For me its mostly the left pedal, but occasionally it is both. This doesn't seem to show up in any data that ends up on GC, but I see it happen on my 830.

• vdot64 - have a look at the data/graph for the left/right, that should show where the drop outs/disconnects are. All the 6 pairs of pedals that I have used, have had the same issue. The right pedal disconnects and then the left pedal then reports itself as 100%, my understanding is that anything that reports as 100% means that the other side has disconnected. Contact Garmin, send them links to your data, they will review and admit that the pedals are defective and then will offer to replace them under warranty. Note the pedals come with a 24 month warranty. Good luck.

• Never noticed that I have sometimes 100 % for left or right pedals in every activity log, interesting... Not sure if it is problem with the pedals or with the sensor disconnect issue that we are having with Edge1030+. But I would say that the cracking sounds coming from pedals are more annoying than this.

• 100% can also also occur when you start pedaling again from coasting depending on the crank angles when you start pedaling. 

So 100% does not necessarily mean a radio drop and in the case of 100% right then it cannot be a radio drop as the right side has to pass its data to the left side for the left side to send it to the head unit.

Only the left side talks to the head unit.

• Make sense... So no dropouts

• Wow. Even if assuming a very high defective rate (5%), one single user having issues with 5-6 consecutive pairs would obviously, logically infer some issue on the user’s end. Purely statistically speaking.  Has to be interference. I would disconnect the Bluetooth connections for each sensor where you can, and rely on ANT which is really stable.