This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Are you happy with the Explore 2?

Bought it a few days ago but just had one ride because it’s winter. Can you all please tell me how is the battery life on the device ? Do you miss something? Still unsure if I should switch to the 1040 for longer battery life and screen size. Everything else is probably overkill for me

• You can read my two cents about EE2 on this forum.
    I've bought it because it was all about navigation (and not so much about training features), new UI design trickled down from 1040,USB-C, and price point. It is a shame to see such poor execution of UI, lack of so many basic options, and missed opportuinites.  
    I have yet to check stabilty issues and battery drain with latest update. 

• duración de la batería muy muy buena, más de 30 horas 

• Batterylife is excellent, screen size is fine. If these are your only concerns, stick to it. I'm happy with mine, big improvement to the EE1. You'll have ton contend with a few bugs, though. Instead of fixing them with updates, Garmin introduces Emojis ...

• en general puedo decir que tiene una autonomía de batería muy muy buena  datos aceptables, y una pantalla muy buena  así como una interfaz muy similar al Garmin 1040 pero con la mitad de precio, ahora se nota que Garmin está descuidando por completo sus dispositivos para bici, cada vez peor, peores actualizaciones fallos en el giroscopio que indica desniveles y temperatura, vamos que mi Garmin 1000 anterior creo que fue lo mejor que sacaron para bicicleta

así pues  dentro de lo que hay relación precio calidad creo que es lo mejor de Garmin ahora mismo de cara al usuario de bicicleta 

• NO !!!

I got mine last week and its now on its way back to Garmin as not fit for purpose. My eTrex30x suffered a cracked screen and I thought the edge2 with a slightly bigger screen and a touchscreen would be an improvement. Big mistake.

The UI is completely pants (then means no good), hopelessly confusing and not sensibly customisable.

All the fitness and navigation and social stuff is pure bloat for me and gets in the way. It also doesn't even seem to be capable of recording a gpx file but uses some proprietary standard of Garmin's with no option so switch to standard files.

All I want is a device that shows me a legible map (and allows me to upload different OSM based maps for updates and foreign countries using some external miniSD storage so I can swap them) and current trip stats - distance, elevation, speed, averages etc - with customisable fields so I can lay it out to suit myself.

Sadly the Edge 2 is not a useable solution for me. Either I'll simply get a replacement eTrex, or look for a non-Garmin device that will do the job.

• Yes, if you want longer battery life you want the power bundle.

• Great for me, I use Komoot for routing and it works perfectly ,the screen size is spot on and the battery life is amazing, I swap between 3 bikes and it's been (almost) trouble free.

• The UI is completely pants (then means no good), hopelessly confusing and not sensibly customisable.

I agree with you

All I want is a device that shows me a legible map (and allows me to upload different OSM based maps for updates and foreign countries using some external miniSD storage so I can swap them)

You can upload as many OSM maps as you want. There is enough memory available. You do not need an SD card. You can turn maps on and off as you like.

and current trip stats - distance, elevation, speed, averages etc - with customisable fields so I can lay it out to suit myself.

no problem.

• As a long time GARMIN user starting with the 920XT and most recently a Fenix 6X user the UI and how you use it is pretty standard/consistent with previous devices and their is a large selection of screen layouts I personally prefer the 7B as I like the heart rate graph as my main training aid 

The screen Visibility requires some level of backlight which is the single biggest battery usage issue as on the Watch line they our quite visible with no backlight and I have gotten use to using it at 20%

I fully understood the 300 dollar price point was going to drop a lot of the features the 6X at the Expensive price point but you still get solid feedback on the ride’s effectiveness and if all the possible physical feedback is the driver than the more expensive units would be better 

Living in a rural area without any bicycle safe roads the on line route planning aids work fine and it always works for me 

• I'll comment too, since i may be in a situation other users are in.
    Big Garmin fan, got 3x Fenix 6 (yes, 3 of them, one for me and 2 for my family) and now a Tactix 7. Got an HRM Pro, had an Edge 130 Plus and now a Edge Explore 2. Also have a Varia rear light with radar and the front light. 
    So, now, let's talk about the Edge Explore 2. Since as i said i got a Tactix 7 you should know that the watch actually has MORE stuff than the dedicated cycling computer. Like, it's better and more complete. Sure, it also costed like 3x times. So i am in this situation where a dedicated cycling computer makes sense but i would not want it to have less stuff than my watch. Yesterday, for instance, i went out for an easy 40km. I had both the T7 and the EE2 active and recording but once home i ONLY saved the activity from the T7 because it provides that bit more data. The EE2 was basically used as a head unit only. It sucks that if i wanted to have the same features as the T7 i would have had to fork out another 800 AUD. I paid for those features in the watch, why do i have to do it again for the head unit i don't know.