This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Returning Explore 2 - Bluetooth, Firmware, ClimbPro

I upgraded from an Edge 130 to an Edge Explore 2. I am returning it for a refund after a few days because:

• I have constant bluetooth connection issues. Don't have this with other Garmin devices on that phone. I cannot load any courses from, say, the Komoot IQ app. I can also not use Garmin Connect to change any settings on the unit. I tried resetting, reconnecting, etc, all to no avail.
  • I could not update my firmware like this person. Stock firmware does not have music controls, which is one of the things I was excited about.
  • ClimbPro has a bug where it does not show the entire elevation profile of long/steep climbs. The X-axis is screwed up. I uploaded a picture here. It's from the preview screen but during an activity it looks the same.

Perhaps I have a faulty unit. Perhaps this will all be fixed in an update but I am not willing to wait around.

• Have you tried updating the firmware using Garmin Express with the unit plugged into a computer?

• I have and it didn’t work like the person in the post I linked to. If the new firmware fixed my issues then I’d maybe try again, but there is no info from Garmin regarding the content of the firmware update. It just all feels a bit to “beta” for my taste. 

• Over the last 10 years I have been happy with a series of the lower speced (ie cheaper) Garmins, 200, 510, 520 & a 530 but declining eyesight (& more riding)  suggests a bigger screen is desirable. When the 1040 launched I baulked at the price but with the Explore 2 I thought Garmin had designed it based precisely on my requirements & price range but lack of stock (both 1040 & Explore) in my region had me just reading the reviews, I grew concerned about Explore "limitations" and how much attention / resources it would get especially with 540 & 840s somewhere down the track, my enthusiasm waned.

Then an email from a trusted retailer who had 1040 stock and was offering an exceptionally reasonable one day "sale" price. I do quite a bit of long distance riding and rationalising that if I got the "flagship" I could extend the useful life for longer than my previous device generations. So I ordered the 1040 just before the close of the sale last night, Garmin wins of course, a bit extra $$$ but not the outrageous amount I had expected.

• I also have bluetooth issues. I haven't even tried yet during real ride, but while setting up the device:

- everything is slow. Like showing the map tiles, or syncing the device (not the 1st time, which obviously can take some time, but every time???)

- BT disconnects or doesn't connect for minutes. After I turn on the Edge I am expecting to see in GCM that it's connected in 5-10 seconds, as I do see it for my watches. But it took about 5 minutes to get connected.

- FW update has bugs in itself. Needless to say how incredibly slow it is. I don't know how big the file is, but the blue line under the "Sending Software Update" is crawling so slow that it's hardly noticable. It takes about 15 minutes to advance just a few pixels (1/2 of the size of the letters in "Sending Software Update") And then sometimes (happened at least 5 times) it suddenly stops the update and the device automatically starts an activity.

- talked to support and they say I don't have much chance that it'll succeed to update via GCM and I need GE (but I only have Linux so no GE...)

So all in all I am not happy at all with it. I know that Garmin have their problems (have 2 watches) but this is even below my worst expectations.

• I also have the same BLUETOOTH problem. Sometimes (rarely) I can load Komoot routes, but mostly it crashes. Then the error message indicates a missing (broken) Bluetooth connection. But why does the same procedure sometimes succeed?
    All devices & APPS have the latest updates. I don't know this problem from my Edge 820 (but it also has WLAN).
  • I don't know, but judging from how customer support responded when I told them I am trying to update from FW 4.x to 5.09 using GCM it sounds like a known issue (at least with FW 4.x)