This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Software update - Is this normal !

Just bought the Explore 2 , all seems to be working OK except when connected to the phone it seems to be constantly syncing. Couldn't work out why, but if I look at the System/About section, the software version shows as 4.10 and the update note says no updates available, but both these sections are greyed out. When I go to Garmin Connect it tells me that new version 5 is available, but in Garmin Express with device connected that doesn't show, only a map update seems to be available and that refuses to load coming back with an error. What I'm wondering is if the firmware update has started over Connect, hence why its greyed out on the device, and not showing in Express. What do you think ? I read somewhere that software/firmware updates can load in connect in the background, but can take quite a time i.e t said up to a week (I guess it depends how long you have the device connected to the phone for).  Adrian

• Software updates are very small (a few 10s of megabytes) and take minutes at most whereas map updates are multi gigabytes and can take a while. Map updates are only done via express connected to a PC/Mac via the USB cable. Usually Garmin will announce a software update on the forum but I believe the tradition was to forget about the less devices like explorer, shame on you Garmin.

I would call your local Garmin support line, you might be their first Explorer 2 case and they might need the practise, it is not unusual for the Garmin backend systems to take a week or two to catch up with new devices. Good luck, let us know how it goes, I am keen to get an Explore 2 but my Garmin region says no stock for a month or two !!!

• I had exactly the same problem. I waited an hour or even longer, but the update did not work. So I updated with Garmin Express on my PC, which worked fine.

• yep - tried that, but Garmin Express doesn't offer me the option of updating - I'm wondering if Express when connected to the divide thinks it has the update already. Something is obviously wrong though as if I try to take the map update that is offered it comes back with a fault. All a bit odd

• Is there a GUPDATE.GCD file in the device Garmin directory, if it did not finish downloading the partial file can block further updates and because it is not complete it won't update (some users create empty dummy update files if they want to remain on an older version  without being bothered by update notices.

• If there is a file GUPDATE.GCD it may be corrupted. Doesn't GE re-offer the software update to version 5.09 when you remove the possibly corrupted GUPDATE.GCD? Also disconnecting The Explore 2 from the smartphone (i.e. Connect Mobile) before starting GE might help?

• Can't see that file in the directory - I'm waiting for support (who were very friendly and helpful) to send me an email re: looking for files, which I suspect will be to ask me to look for the same thing ! I've tried hard reset and disconnecting from phone and using Express on Mac, but no luck. The device itself tells me its on 4.10 and no update is available ! but it is greyed out

• sadly not and yep tried not using the phone, have raised with support, see where it goes. 

• Can you get your hands on a Windows PC / laptop and use GE from there?

• It’s my 3rd Garmin and over the last  10-12years or so.  I’ve always found updates, connect and express less than perfect. I’m afraid after spending last night and most of this morning trying to sort Ive decided I’m done with Garmin. Shipping the GPS back, going to look at a Wahoo or Hammerhead - I know they are not problem free, but at least it will be a different set of problems! 

• That is a pity, I too am a survivor (mostly happy) of 4 Garmins over 10+ years and was, still am, seriously considering an Explore 2 , looks ideal for my usage despite a couple of annoying feature omissions. But Garmin in its wisdom seems to have forgotten to ship stock for my region (Australia/NZ), still no 1040 since launch and Explore 2 says "available to ship in 5 - 8 weeks" ! and Garmin forbids retailers from shipping outside their region, seems to be stock everywhere else in the world, and cheaper too. So I have plenty of time to consider and learn from other users experience.