This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Battery capacity on navigation mode

Hi.

How much battery (%) does the new EE2 consume on a 1h ride on navigation (following a track or on auto-routing mode)?

I have an Edge 830 and it last at about 20 hours with the brightness set to 20% (with the light sensor disabled) and connected to the smartphone, without sensores, on "GPS ONLY" mode. It's about 5% battery draining per hour.

I was planning to switch because of the bigger screen, but battery x navigation for me is the most important.

Note: I get the maximum stamina of Edge 830, sitting fixed at the window recording points at 1 second interval, gps only, with brightness sett to 0%, in data screen, it last at about 49 hrs. This only for the numbers of maximum time of battery and to check battery health. It's about 2% battery draining per hour, but it does not show the "real world" use.

Thanks.

• I only got 5hrs 40 mins of riding today before the battery died.  Will try getting the anti-reflective cover but disappointed that my new Garmin performs so badly at full brightness.

• A little over 7 hours riding time today (extrapolated) with brightness at 90%.

• Yesterday I drove for 3:42 h. device on. I was set to 100 brightness and navigation mode.
    Battery capacity droped from 100% to 40% during this time.
    I was sad, very sad.

But today I chane some setting and I drove for 3:33 h. device on and navigation.
    Battery drop from 100% to 85% during this time.
    And this is good for me.
    I changed this settings:
    - Brightness 70%
    - Backlight Timeout to 30 sec.
    - Color Mode to night. I was worried about this, but display is very readable.

• The official word regarding battery life expectations from Garmin support

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=TmVizR0CNI0qfuxJXdxXb5&partNumber=010-02703-00&tab=topics&topicTag=region_batterytips

DC Rainmaker says that with a little bit more battery saving setting a life of 30+hrs is possible.

One of the best features of a touch screen is that you can turn backlight on with a tap on the screen, no need to leave the backlight running 100% of the time when you are are probably looking at it 1% of the time so set backlight level as high as you need (on my 530 I live with 0% backlight all the time, except night of course when 10% is enough). and have backlight turn off after 30s or so. Polalized sunglasses can be a problem, my plastic tinted (bi-focal) ones are perfect for me (and I do ALL day, 12+ hour, rides in very strong sunlight, but we are all different)

• Thanks for the link. I went for a 4 hour ride following the 16 hour chart exactly (though I switched from the map screen frequently). Completed the ride at about 50% battery. No way is this getting 16 hours with those settings. Curious what other people are getting with that configuration.

• I changed the backlight setting to turn off after 15 seconds, which hugely increased battery life.  To be honest I don’t even notice if backlight is even on when daytime riding.

• I did a 5:15 ride this weekend with the map showing the entire time (but not navigating) HRM Connected, Phone NOT Connected, 10% brightness (same "Bikepacking" setting I used with the Edge 530 getting 20+hr) Battery dropped from 55% to 39%. So looking at ~3% drop per HR or over 30hr of run time). Will test on a longer (~12hr ride) with Navigation this weekend. Will report back with my findings. 

• 13.5hr ride, Nav going the whole time. 99% down to 45%. So 4%/hr or 25hr run time. 

• In my case, phone connected, HRM connected, remote connected, navigating a course with turn guidance off, using the map screen full time. 80% brightness with backllight on. 8% per hour, 12,5 hours run time.