This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Battery capacity on navigation mode

Hi.

How much battery (%) does the new EE2 consume on a 1h ride on navigation (following a track or on auto-routing mode)?

I have an Edge 830 and it last at about 20 hours with the brightness set to 20% (with the light sensor disabled) and connected to the smartphone, without sensores, on "GPS ONLY" mode. It's about 5% battery draining per hour.

I was planning to switch because of the bigger screen, but battery x navigation for me is the most important.

Note: I get the maximum stamina of Edge 830, sitting fixed at the window recording points at 1 second interval, gps only, with brightness sett to 0%, in data screen, it last at about 49 hrs. This only for the numbers of maximum time of battery and to check battery health. It's about 2% battery draining per hour, but it does not show the "real world" use.

Thanks.

• Mine consumes 5.5% battery per hour. Course with TBT; Course recalculation 'Pause' (thats a mode that the 830 does not have (?)); screen 60% backlight permanently ON; sensors speed/cadence & HRM; No phone connection.

• 4 hours (75km) on navigation with the screen with 60% of clarity, connected to the smartphone and HRM - it 22% battery draining

• 1,25 hours (30KM) + 100% screen brightness + navigation + no ANT/BT: 18% drain;

1,25 hours (25KM) + 80% screen brightness + navigation + no ANT/BT: 11% drain;

2,25 hours (53KM) + 60% screen brightness + map always visible, no turn by turn navigation + no ANT/BT: 6% drain; 

UPDATE: after getting me some protective/antiglare glass (called Panzerglas) I now can ride with dark sunglasses and see everything perfectly at 60% screen brightness. After several rides I (maps visible but without turn by turn navigation) + with edge remote + rtl515 connected I see a drop of max 10% in battery life at the most after 2 hours of riding. Pretty impressed until now!

• Thanks, valuable real world battery capacity reports.

It does though raise the question as to whether you "need" backlight set so high on the Explore 2 to provide adequate visibility, did you have backlight as high on your previous device?

For comparison I have a 530 (2 years old) and don't use backlight at all during the day and find the visibility  very acceptable even impressive, at night 10% is enough, this with just 2 sensors, no BT, no "navigation but "following" a course on the map gives me 40-45 hours of battery, thanks

• The 60% backlight level I used on the E2 was mainly for comparison reasons with the E1. Coming rides I'll experiment with lower settings, also with regard to the weather conditions.

• There is a simple hack (i think you are using it with that values of 40-45 hours of "navigation" with a single charge) to keep battery consumption low when following a route, and which I think is used by few people.

Here's how: open the track you want to folow, and in the track menu, activate the option "always show on map". And, That's all. As you are not navigating, and you  are just following the route line that is showed on the map, there is no extra processing with navigation. The only downside is that there are no statistics for kms to the end, time to destination, etc... but for multi-day trips with few charging points it can be an asset. The track is showed as a "layer" always visible.

• 1,25 hours (25KM) + navigation + 80% backlight (because of sunglasses) + no BT connection: 11% drain

• 3 hours Course with TBT, permanent Map view, display 50% (stays ON), 2 sensors, No BT connection: 15% drain. This is 5% per hour, compared to 5,5% per hour with 60% backlight.

• activate the option "always show on map"

No, I get my the 40+ hours on my 530 while following a loaded course on the map even with course points (each 10kms or so) and their  notifications and the  "Course Point Distance" field, most of the saving comes from no backlight and no BT which are the big battery eaters, no "turn guidance" is a bonus on that. Rides are all day, 10-12 hours+ and I can get 3 or 4 between re-charges. I would "like" similar from the Explore 2 but would accept a little less as a trade for the bigger screen, but not too much less

PS. Also, for my 530, the battery remaining number is not always linear, the above 40+hrs comes from multiple rides over maybe a week, totalling 600-700kms without any recharging between rides. The "projected" capicity number declines from around 50hrs after the earlier rides to the achieved 40-45 at the end. So a genuine capacity requires a totalling of ride times until the battery is actually empty (or near to)

• My first big ride with it today, I got less than 5 hours with brightness on 100% (I had sunglasses on) but with GPS only, not multi-GNSS.  I’m on a multi day trip so will see how it fares tomorrow.