This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Software update - Is this normal !

Just bought the Explore 2 , all seems to be working OK except when connected to the phone it seems to be constantly syncing. Couldn't work out why, but if I look at the System/About section, the software version shows as 4.10 and the update note says no updates available, but both these sections are greyed out. When I go to Garmin Connect it tells me that new version 5 is available, but in Garmin Express with device connected that doesn't show, only a map update seems to be available and that refuses to load coming back with an error. What I'm wondering is if the firmware update has started over Connect, hence why its greyed out on the device, and not showing in Express. What do you think ? I read somewhere that software/firmware updates can load in connect in the background, but can take quite a time i.e t said up to a week (I guess it depends how long you have the device connected to the phone for).  Adrian

• I agree I find the upgrade comment is unusual. An update should be available via GCM/GE

So from what I can find the change notes are:

Add Music Control feature.
    Add Fitness Age feature.
    Add Intensity Minutes feature.

I have placed the GCD file here. You can side load it by placing it in the Garmin folder on the Edge

gupdate.gcd

• Thanks for the file. I could upgrade to 5.09 with that file. The only glitch is that even after upgrade & rebooting the edge it still "Sending Software Update" in GCM...

• Ok, after another 30+ minutes the "Sending Software Update" reached the end of the line and then I rebooted the edge again. Now it seems to be OK, it doesn't try to update itself again.

This probably also confirms that there was some bluetooth fix in 5.09, and it hopefully also means that from now on the FW updates will be possible also from GCM.

•  we just posted about version 5.09 on the Explore 2, I apologize for the delay in that post on our forums. 

If any Edge's are having a difficult time installing this software through the Garmin Connect app, I'd recommend doing this through Garmin Express. If anyone is still having an issue installing when using Express, I'd recommend reaching out to your local Garmin support at support.garmin.com 

• Or if one doesn't have a Mac or. Windows and doesn't live close to the local Garmin support, then you can download the gupdate.gcd from  4 comments above this and copy that file to the GARMIN/ folder. That fixed it to me. It's a pity this easy and working solution doesn't come from Garmin support.