Wifi not working

I realized that the WiFi connection does not properly work. 
Komoot connection and download of courses works only when my iPhone phone connected via Bluetooth is near. 
With the 830 Wi-Fi worked seamless. Just double checked both devices beside each other at the same place in the same network.

during setup procedure the Wi-Fi connection seems properly set up with no error message. I can see this also in the protocol of the router. But during later use I found out that neither Komoot, AccuWeather or any other online functionality of the edge 840 is working without the iPhone being connected via Bluetooth. Also the Wi-Fi icon in the top row of the screen never appears in bright white color  just in grey the first 20 seconds after switching the Garmin on  

I‘m really disappointed that on a 600€ device the simple Wi-Fi connection doesn’t work as it used to do a n the predecessor. 
I hope somebody from GARMIN reads this forum and takes care to fix this essential topic ASAP. 

• I think you’re right. It seems some things are broken and others works somehow. I’ve turned off Bluetooth on the phone to ensure that it doesn’t act as bridge:

• WiFi Icon disappears after boot on the Edge. It shouldn’t. Either grey (WiFi ON but no signal), blinking (connecting) or white showing signal quality (connected). Following conventions and expectations?
    • Each manual sync’ says “WiFi sync failed”.
    • Rides are actually uploaded automatically via WiFi to Garmin Connect from the Edge (these could become bigger with all the sensor data).
    • Planned courses are not automatically downloaded from Garmin Connect. I need to manually trigger a sync and it ends with the “WiFi sync failed” but the course is then on the device.
    • When checking for updates the Edge needs to connect first to the WiFi.

My expectation is keeping the WiFi-Connection up and automatically syncing as soon data needs to interchanged (either via push or frequent polls).

• Hi Amy,

I have the same Wifi Issues on my Edge 840. It's on Firmware version 19.21.

Is there any resolution identified for this yet, or is this still being worked-on?

I've got a NetGear Orbi 860 Wifi Router, and it passes the Wifi Connection Test, but always gives an error message on Sync or Software Update over wifi.

Thanks!!

• Would be nice to know if Garmin is actually working on the issues. Every user gets these error messages on the device.

• Amy, 

Thanks for the link to WiFi requirements.  It would be nice if these were ACTUALLY in the manual.

paul

• Hi Amy,

I still get the Wi-Fi sync failed error.  I just received the 840 for Christmas, and it updated itself from 9.?? to 19.22.

paul

• I’m also having the same problem, I just purchased the 1040 solar and when I manually sync its says “failed” but it does indeed appear to work.  I’ve noted after a reboot of the device the manual sync works just fine but hitting sync again makes it fail.  

• Remove and add wifi connection again resolved problem 

• remove and re-add didn't help me...

• A “happy” owner of 540 with the latest 19.22 firmware and can confirm the issue. Totally unacceptable to have this bug for more than 8 months already

• I have 19.22 as well, and can't make wifi work. I can set it up from my iphone via Connect (cannot do it on the device due to password length restriction), and the test of device wifi connection through Connect works, but connected features on the 840 do not work if I turn off the connection to the phone. I've never seen any sort of wifi icon on the 840 either, surely wifi status is something that should be made visible on the device it makes it very difficult to see what is happening.The entire manual only contains 'Wi-Fi' three times and one of those three is for the trademark acknowledgement. What a frustrating device. Interestingly my router shows the Edge 840 has connected at some point during the setup process but then it goes offline. The router shows the 840 successfully connects to the network every time it does a fresh power up after complete shutdown, but then it disconnects.