This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Specific segment stats on the device?

Here's what it looks like in "History > Rides > [Specific ride] > Segments > [Specific segment]"

What does "Connection" timing stand for? 

How come "Personal best" shows larger value than the obviously better timing from this ride? Why didn't it update?

The line at the bottom says "*Provisional until sync". What exactly does it refer to? What is provisional until sync?

• Hi, I only have Strava segments on mine, haven't used Garmin segments. However I speculate that "Connection" means the best time from among other users you are connected with in Garmin Connect (ie "friends"). (Strava shows similar with Strava followers.)

Strava also shows the "provisional until sync" disclaimer. Our devices are not connected to the live leaderboards at all times, they get updated only when they sync with Garmin Connect. I believe it's basically saying "leaderboard may have changed since last sync".

Garmin Connect currently shows you at the top of the leaderboard for this segment (time 55.4, set 29 Aug). Since that's obviously slower than your PB (54) and latest effort (50) shown in your screenshot, it appears that it hasn't synced. You may need to sync your device and then wait for the Garmin leaderboard to be updated (and then may need to sync a second time after that for it to be downloaded to your device). I'm not familiar with how fast all that should work (compared to Strava), tho my personal expectation would be no more than 24-48 hours.

Searching other cases is difficult because almost everything is about Strava segments, but I found these 2:

https://forums.garmin.com/apps-software/mobile-apps-web/f/garmin-connect-mobile-ios/292552/segment-times-are-different-in-mobile-app-and-connect-website

https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/cycling/f/edge-530/234744/segments-time-on-device-different-to-connect

https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/cycling/f/edge-530/230156/segment-personal-best-is-not-updating-to-best-time

If none of those help, might be best to contact Garmin Support. Or maybe another user here will come along with an answer. Cheers

• My device is always synced with Garmin Connect data. It syncs immediately once I finish the ride - through BT connection with my phone. In other words, the ride associated with the above itself is already present in my Garmin Connect account, as are all my previous rides. It was already present there when I took the above picture.

One reason the listed segment data might show a different result is that AFAIK online leaderboards only take "public" rides into account. If the ride is marked as "private", its results will not affect online leaderboards. In my case my rides are "private" by default. Hence the discrepancy, most likely.

This, however, does not explain why "Segment Leader" time is worse than "Personal Best" time. And if the "Personal Best" intended to take "private" data into account, then it is not clear why it is worse than the current time.