This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

2021: buying the Edge 830 or waiting for 830Plus/840?

I've decided not to buy a 1030plus because of it's price, but I've seen some articles on the internet stating that there will be replacement for the Edge 830

Is there anything official known yet? Because I am wondering if it  is better to wait until the newer model comes

• The edge battery is 3.8v 1000mAh. Fenix which already has solar capability has a battery about half that. The Edge screen is larger so it is a possibility. Whether anyone wants to pay the extra for it is another matter. Its also possible to get longer battery life with a more efficient soc/screen, maybe Garmin will go that way

• Just throwing ideas out :-)

Card reader unlikely to be added. The additional support and software issues caused in previous models was likely why it was removed in the 1030 plus. More internal memory would be good though, for larger maps and more regions, but doubt a card slot will make a reappearance

• Wait for the 830+/840, and then buy the 830 at hopefully a reduced price. Slight smile

• I've had my 830 for years without any serious issues, a quick call to Garmin support and usually very easily resolved. Support is excellent btw.

In answer to your question: It depends on your budget. I reckon Garmin will replace the 830 soon and we'll see similarities in improvements like better battery life, improved graphics, solar etc, which have been in introduced on the recently released Forerunner 955.

There's great bargains on 830s at the moment whilst an 830 replacement will be premium priced, no doubt about that! You decide, both will be the best bike computer you can get.