This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

2021: buying the Edge 830 or waiting for 830Plus/840?

I've decided not to buy a 1030plus because of it's price, but I've seen some articles on the internet stating that there will be replacement for the Edge 830

Is there anything official known yet? Because I am wondering if it  is better to wait until the newer model comes

• There is nothing official.  It is unknown when Garmin may replace the 830.

• Just wondering, is Garmin usually releasing bundles at the same time they release new units, or is there usually a delay between the release of the units and the bundles (and if so, how long is it) ? (I'm thinking about the MTB bundle for instance)

• Buy the Edge 830. It’s great, despite some bugs. I guarantee the replacement will launch with waaaaay more issues, and you’ll feel like a Beta Tester :-) 

• Bundles come out with new units. 

• Thanks for you reply.

I'm rather considering the 530 (not the 830) but the discussion/question is similar for 830/530.

I've no issue feeling like a beta-tester, already done it with a FR245 just received shortly after launch, never experienced any severe yougness issue. I'd still prefer having a early version which may receive further support (potentially new features) as from now, although it seems like that it is barely difficult to imagine missing features on these units :)

I wouldn't mind going for the 530 (/830) if lunch of the new version is not for soon (but no one knows) ... + MTB packs are not straighforward to find nowadays.  

• To me the only need is about the Garmin Cycle Map getting bigger and bigger. So installing additional maps could be an issue.

• The response I got from Garmin support was "31/07/2021 At this time we don't have any details on the release of the Garmin 840. Sometimes new units are released around the holidays, towards the end of the year, but I haven't heard of anything yet."

• The 830 firmware is buggy, and and is not getting any better with the latest updates. Read this forum carefully and then decide.

My 2¢: Unless you are interested in paying for the privilege of being a Beta tester for Garmin I would seriously look at Wahoo and Hammerhead.

• I have the 830 and like it. I’m glad I bought it. The only consistent issue I have is sensor disconnects, but those happen on all Garmins. Some beta firmware is pretty bad but the releases are usually ok. They had a hiccup with 8.10 but they fixed it with 8.20.