This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Edge 830 the halo is back

Former Member
Former Member

I'm meeting several Garmin 830 users who are having trouble with the halo.

It is only visible when putting the device in direct sunlight and at certain angles. Brightness is off

I'd like to know if it's everyone's problem or it's kind of reduced to a number of units.

Appears on devices that have been used longer. If you have used your device for a short time it may appear after 2 years, if you use it a lot it may be after 1 year.

Units of 530 also affected

• yes i already have see the halo in my 830.

only visible when direct to sun.

My edge will made 2 years

• This is not actually the halo problem that the 820 had. That was due to delamination This is just an affect of the screen curvature in direct sunlight. 

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 2 years ago in reply to aweatherall

If it's an effect, the new and the old would. When it's new, this doesn't happen. There's a problem with the screen. Again

• Former Member We would like it if you could reach out to us directly at support.garmin.com so we can get in touch. If we need to create an exchange for you, our support center is a better point of contact as we cannot set up exchanges via the forums. 

We'll gather some info from you if it's okay, including the pictures you have already taken to make sure to sort this out for you. 

• Start noticing the same in sunlight, which definitely was not there when new.

• Same problem for me, under direct sunlight i have a black halo

• Have exactly the same issue with my 830. Unit is approaching 2 years old and had no issues for the first year to 18 months. I am thinking the best solution is to just switch back over to Wahoo. Their release of the Bolt v2 couldn't have been better timed

• Good luck, the V2 firmware is chock full of bugs!

• I've noticed the same halo-like effect on my 830 for about a year now. It reminds me of the 820 halo but not quite the same. I'm just living with it. Eventually the battery will get worn out enough to be worth refurbishing, or Garmin will release an 840 and I'll get that!

• Yeah, I have seen they have some teething issues but that should all get sorted fairly quickly. I used to have the Bolt (which worked perfectly) but switched to a Garmin as I had this tick where I felt I needed everything on the same ecosystem (have a Fenix 5). This halo issue is now the 2nd problem that I have had with my Edge in the past 6 months tho (navigation issues I was having with multiple IQ apps being the first) and I'm quickly losing confidence in the product.

While I won't knee jerk react and immediately buy a v2, when they have fixed their issues I will have a decision to make