This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Edge 830 the halo is back

Former Member
Former Member

I'm meeting several Garmin 830 users who are having trouble with the halo.

It is only visible when putting the device in direct sunlight and at certain angles. Brightness is off

I'd like to know if it's everyone's problem or it's kind of reduced to a number of units.

Appears on devices that have been used longer. If you have used your device for a short time it may appear after 2 years, if you use it a lot it may be after 1 year.

Units of 530 also affected

• I ended up borrowing a Wahoo from someone once when my battery died mid-ride, and the experience was terrible. Pairing my sensors was an obtuse experience, couldn't change the screen layout, had difficulty extracting my ride from the unit. The little thingies that light up were silly, and the way you used buttons to make the screen have more or less fields just felt clunky. Taking my hands off the bars to press a button multiple times versus a simple swipe.

I've owned every 800 series Edge, and several of the 700 series', as well as multiple GPSMAP and eTrex units - spanning over 20 years - and never found Garmin to have the level of problems that people complain about in these forums. Yes, I've had my unit lock up or crash in the middle of a ride, which is very annoying but I'm sure happens with other units. Yes, there are have been some annoying things like the screen halo on the 820, loss of per-bike sensor setup, loss of the power button menu, and probably a few other items I'm forgetting right now, but in general I can hit the power button and go for a ride 99% of the time.

I ride almost every day, 20+ hours a week, and regularly use pretty much every feature except CIQ, which honestly seems more aimed at watches than the cycling units. If these units were as "systematically buggy" as the supercomplainers who come to the forums suggest, I would know. The only truly bad experience I have ever had was the 830 that definitely launched with some bugs and I returned my preordered unit to wait a few firmware revisions - just like the issues the V2 is having.

• My 830 is exactly 2 years old now, with a little over 1000hrs of use. The halo started when it was about 12 months old, but didn't seem to have developed any further during the last 12. Personally think it's the same halo I had on the 820, except that the 820 also had the parallel horizontal lines across the screen.

• The same halo problem here. The halo started after 1.5 years of using, and it only can be seen under the direct sunshine.

• Sent the 830 to customer service and they sent me a new one. Let's see how this develops. (of course guarantee period will not be reset).

• My edge has started showing the halo as well. Which is really distracting when cycling. I contacted their support but they are only offering a paid replacement as it is out of warranty :-(
    I should have reported it when the problem first appeared.

Not sure I want to pay £120 for a replacement when the issue is likely to come back again. Might be time to switch to Wahoo.