This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Varia Radar - Constantly Switches Off/On and Changing Light Modes

Does anyone else have a problems with the Edge 830 and either the RTL510 or RTL515?

Since firmware 6.00 I've noticed the light on the radar keeps switching itself off and on at random intervals. Sometimes for a few seconds and other times up to 30 minutes.

I usually use High Visibility mode, and set it to switch onto that setting when the unit is powered up. But it doesn't want to maintain that setting, even when Flash override is set.

It wants to switch to Solid, which drains the battery.

I've had a few rides where it's worked perfectly, but 99.9% of the time it's a complete cluster.

I've tried factory resetting the Edge 830 multiple times (usually after a FW update), resetting and re-pairing the Varia.

Even buying a RTL515 yesterday didn't work. Edge FW is currently on 6.22.

Yes/No?

(I congratulate myself for not swearing in this post Rage)

Thanks.

EDIT:

I forgot to mention I use the "Tail Light Field" app https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/b20762ef-7027-45d5-84fc-220777b7627f

Using this app give you extra info about whether the light is switched on, or has fallen off your bike. When viewing an activity on Garmin Connect (app or website).

An example from a cropped screen grab from today's ride.

• Thanks for the suggestion and help.

No, I don't have anything near the Varia, that could hit the buttons.

• Sorry I can't be anymore help than that.. I've had very few problems with my 510 apart from the battery, which i think s now starting to die 

• I just spent a small fortune on the Varia RTL515 and Edge 830, same problems as above. Since I bought this specifically for the radar detection, I am fuming at Garmin right now. I should be out riding, not spending hours on useless tech support and no answer that actually works. 

• I'm sorry to hear you're having the same problems as me. I can't understand why more people aren't having the same issues.

I understand your anger, I just want to smash my 830 to pieces, every time it messes up and potentially gets me knocked off my bike. I just wish Wahoo would release a new bike computer.

Full factory resets don't fix the problem at all. The software is sh-poop and needs an urgent update, to fix the light issue and constant radar drop outs.

I've now installed this widget (in BLInk mode) https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/116ccf55-08e6-4bb1-8869-084e47c841c4

Which when the light either switches itself off or to the constant light mode, allows you (most of the time) to switch it back on by pressing the centre of the widget. Or changing to the correct light mode (for me that's the High Vis blink), just by having the widget being displayed on screen. The widget seems to resend info to the light making it auto correct itself, without the need for user input.

Keep emailing CS for a fix, it's the only way those useless counts will fix the problem.

• I have also had issues where the radar will randomly disconnect and reconnect. Also, if I turn the light on during an activity, it won't automatically connect to either the light or the radar.

• I believe sensors are only discovered automatically up to 2 minutes after starting an activity. If you turn on a sensor more than 2 mins into an activity then you'll need to manually connect.

I think this makes sense - if you have multiple sensors paired which are used on different bikes then you don't want your device continually attempting to discover new sensors during an entire ride.

• Oh, that makes more sense then. Thanks! I have still had occasional connects/disconnects mid-ride even when it's been on from the start, but now I know not to expect it to connect automatically if I actually turn it off or on during a ride.

• I just bought an 830 since the RTL515 wouldn't work with my 800.  I have the same issue with the light turning off randomly.  I ended up disabling the light network and the light stays where I set it.  Not the best solution but it keeps the light from turning off.  Garmin needs to fix this.  

• I have the same problem with my Edge 1030/RTL 515. When I started to type in Garmin Varia tu Google completed the "turns off" part of the search. 

• Garmin Community - This is a real problem. If you are not experiencing it, please don't guess as to what may be causing it. I assure you, it is not user error. Google automatically completes the search "Garmin Varia turns itself off."