This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

fw 6.00 battery drain

After installation of new firmware 6.00 i've noticed some excessive battery drain. Usually the battery consumption was 6/7% per hour. Now is 10/11%. Same sensors, same usage, same routes. Someone experienced the same????

• I noticed under display settings that the backlight was toggled to always on.  Pretty sure that is my issue.

• Looks like I posted too soon. After riding a few more times I am back to 8-10%/hour battery usage. Disabling the phone connection returns battery life to normal however also removes features like incident detection, text notifications, and livetrack/grouptrack so I don't consider it a viable option.

• Thank you for your investigations into this issue. I recently tried the procedure outlined above but I failed at Step 5 when I simply couldn't repair the edge to the phone. What I did then was reset to factory settings (saving the relevant .fit files) and restored the device. On a recent, 1 hour ride, the battery usage was about 6% (suggesting I'd get about 17hrs in total), so a small improvement but arguably not statistically significant with only one ride. After the ride I perform steps 6-8 and the messages were as you stated. I'll report back after a few more rides. BTW: the device is connected to the phone using BLE, which I'm assuming is the most efficient connection..? Kind regards and many thanks.

• I've done a few more tests in the last several days and haven't managed to find any solution which restores the battery life. I even rolled the firmware back to v5.50 but I'm still seeing 10%/hr battery usage. I have a support ticket open with Garmin to try to resolve the issue but no progress so far.

• Did you check your display settings?  My firmware upgrade changed the backlight to always on.  Since I have disabled that, I seem to be back to 6-7%.

• Ok guys after several test i understood that the drain problem was the live track plus group track, that before i never used. Thank you all for replies. Now is it normal disabling the L. T.... 

• Hello Claudio, thank you for your note. Can I just confirm the following? That LiveTrack in the Connect App has 'Auto Start' toggled to off ,and Group Track on the Edge has See Connections on Map & Message Notifications toggled to 'On' or 'Off'? Mine are on at the moment but I'm under the impression they don't matter if LiveTrack on the Connect App is not activated? Do you know of any other setting to make sure Live Track is off? Thank you in advance.

• If you have live track activated usually you recive a notification on the edge device and the smartphone. If it is not, there is not active live track. On the 830 device you can see on the notification menu page. You can decide to use live track or group track separately. To use GT you have to select LT anyway, but you don't put any addrrss in the email field. 

If live track is active you can use or not the group track by disabling on group track page,, toggling on/off the connections or gt messages. 

Hope that the reply was useful to you

• An update to this issue. This morning I did a 1.5hr Zwift ride and the battery went from 64% to 60%. So, I don't think there is actually anything wrong and the causes are one or both of either display brightness and/or GPS. To isolate this, remember a couple of things, the 'Auto' screen brightness setting will increase the screen brightness in sunny conditions (all my recent outdoor rides were sunny ones) with the 'Auto' setting. I'd suggest switching this off and setting the brightness to a lower level and measuring the effect. The next experiment would be to, if you can, do an indoor ride using an indoor profile i.e. with GPS switched off, and measuring the effect. Pound to a penny, you'll get much better battery performance. All the best!!!