This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

fw 6.00 battery drain

After installation of new firmware 6.00 i've noticed some excessive battery drain. Usually the battery consumption was 6/7% per hour. Now is 10/11%. Same sensors, same usage, same routes. Someone experienced the same????

• i have 2.4% per hour (with powermeter, speed sensor, hr sensor) without BT and without any course following (sometimes 2-3 strava segments are popping up per ride but nothing else).

I suggest to delete the BT pairing from Edge and the mobile Connect too and repair it, usually the (bad) BT causing the increased battery drain 

• I've got battery drain as yours and elevation problems

• Today i ride 4:30 and spend 17%. Powermeter , hr , di2 ,  BT and course following

• Here i have 23% in 2,5 hour. That is a lot more then it was. Only cadens, speed and HR sensor. And BT for the phone. Na navi.

While navifating then there is an arrow to left or right an lets say 50 meters bu i don't have to turn left or richt, i must go straight on. Thats also no fun to ride with.

• This WE during a race, i hadn't radar but powermeter, speed sensor, di2, HR and livetrack => 100% -> 75%  after 7h30 of race with FW 6.00

~3.5%/H , this is pretty cool !

• I did a 10-hour race over the weekend that drained the battery from 100% down to 9%.  HR, speed and remote control were the only active sensors.  I had the screen brightness controlled by auto-brightness.

• Mine has gone from 5%/hr to 8/9%.  No nav.  Just speed, cadence and hr.  Wondering if it’s wifi trying to reconnect.

• Yes, definitely more power drain.

• I was experiencing the same problem. Before v6.00 I would average ~3%/hour whereas after I was seeing about 8-9%/hour. I'm positive this battery increase is caused by the phone connection. On a ride earlier this week, I rode the first hour with everything set up normally and the battery on the 830 went from 100% -> 91%. After the first hour of riding I turned off bluetooth on my phone to disable the connection. After 1.5 hours of riding with the phone connection disabled, my battery went from 91%->88%.

I've tried a few different things throughout the week and I think on my ride today I finally fixed it. I can't guarantee this will work for you, but it's worth a try. I'm listing these steps as I did them, I'm not sure which are necessary or if the order matters. After performing all of these steps I am back down to ~3%/hour battery usage with FW 6.20. I can tell you for sure that steps 1-5 are not enough -- with only re-pairing my phone I still had excessive battery drain. 

1. Turn on Garmin Edge and let it pair to the phone. 
    2. Open Garmin Connect on your phone, select your Edge 830, and select "Remove Device"
    3. In your phone's bluetooth settings, remove/delete any connections to the 830
    4. On your 830, go to Settings > Connected Features > Phone and remove the pairing with your phone. At this point, you've completely removed any connection between your phone and the 830.
    5. Open Garmin Connect on your phone and add a new device -- pair it with your 830. You'll go through a few steps here but just follow the prompts on the screen to get everything re-paired.
    6. On your 830, start a ride (begin recording). I actually went on a ride for this portion. 
    7. On the 830 go to Settings > Connected Features > Phone and toggle the enable connection slider to off. Exit back to the main screen and wait a few minutes. I rode around for 30 minutes but that was probably more than necessary. 
    8. Go back to Settings > Connected Features > Phone and toggle the enable connection slider to on. 

For me, when I toggled the enable connection back to 'on' the "phone disconnected" message popped up on the top of my 830. About 10-15 seconds later I saw the "phone connected" message. It seems like this must have reset some weird state on the 830 since I would have expected to see the phone disconnected message when I turned off the connection rather than when I re-enabled it. Since doing these steps, my battery life is back to normal with about 3%/hour. I hope it works for you too.