This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Jumpy power (and still, speed)

I know, Power is not the cleanest. data. But when I ride up a hill with a consistent RPM and power jumps up and down (even 10s average), I wonder if everything is ok. Im new to riding with pwoermeter. Also: Is the Power Zone data field averaged somehow?

May someone take a look at the following activity if the data is in line with something to expect:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4954925136

And I still see jumps in speed when for example crossing the rivers on bridges. It jumps from 30 to 10 km/h and back. But for that, I will change the speed sensor onto the front wheel to check if its dropouts.

• for outdoor it looks not bad, but you have a single power meter only on your left pedal, right side is missing?

• yes, I bought a left side only crank because im new to it and didn't know how much use I can take out of it.
    I can always buy the right crank and make it a full double sided ones.
    Pedals are no option because I use SPD (and SRAMs solution is far to expensive).

• oki, i think it looks really normal then, on indoor it looks different and more flat! 

anyway, i detected a security thing on Garmin Connect, you made only this activty public, normaly you don't share your information to public, but i can see all your other activities now, thats strange and sure a bug

• If You share the FIT file of the activity we can give You a detailed answer because the GConnect has not the best layout for analysis. (You can download the original FIT from the GConnect in ZIP file and upload here, as i know the .FIT extension is not allowed /or wasnt in the past :) /) 

• Mmh, can’t find the upload button on my iPhone Safari. Strange. 

4954925136.zip

• i checked your file, the power chart is perfect (as powermeter beginner and with a left crank meter), You should feel and hold the steady power/torque with your legs (it needs lots of practice learning it, experienced rider can hold much steadier power blind), because i think You are watching and chasing the power values on the headunit (which is a little delayed) and it is causing a little wavy power chart.

my bigger concern is the GPS duplicating issue and this Edge 830 is affected heavily from that (my experience is that ALL Garmin units suffer from this BUG :) )  just your speed sensor hides it (the speed graph is also perfect because if You have speed sensor the speed chart will be flawless, if You remove it and using only the GPS for speed and distance, the result will be as my comparison is shown). But i analyzed the FIT files and it contains ~114pcs duplicated GPS position when the unit cant get accurate/instant GPS position from the GPS chip and it is using the last known position again (it is a known Garmin issue by me since years and NOBODY wants to fix it :))

so here are the duplicated GPS positions due to coding issue, when i asked it in the past , a non-offical answer was this: " The issue is a data throughput issue somewhere in the code stack where it is taking more than 1 second to get the next value so it duplicates the last value it has."

• and here is the speed chart difference if You are using speed sensor and when using the GPS data only and if there are duplications by coding issue the speed chart will look like this s..t

• you think it make a difference for this GPS issue, when you recording "every second" or the standard way "intelligent"?

• I dont use (and dont like Slight smile) the smart recording because i'm using powermeters on my bikes and for that the 1s is mandatory. But with smart rec. i suppose that longer recording time gaps (sometimes 5-8secs) are enough for get new positions everytime Slight smile

• i use 1sec recording too, but weird when with smart recording it would be better Stuck out tongue winking eye