This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Jumpy power (and still, speed)

I know, Power is not the cleanest. data. But when I ride up a hill with a consistent RPM and power jumps up and down (even 10s average), I wonder if everything is ok. Im new to riding with pwoermeter. Also: Is the Power Zone data field averaged somehow?

May someone take a look at the following activity if the data is in line with something to expect:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4954925136

And I still see jumps in speed when for example crossing the rivers on bridges. It jumps from 30 to 10 km/h and back. But for that, I will change the speed sensor onto the front wheel to check if its dropouts.

• I thought I read in the 830 user manual that it always uses 1sec recording if you have a power meter attached, regardless of the smart setting.  See page 18:

• Thank You , i already knew it since 2013... 

"I dont like" meaning i dont understand why has such a feature (smart recording) a device like 830 which has 8 or 16gb memory (i dont know exactly the size of storage), it was ok in year 2013 when a 510 has 16mbyte storage but since 2015-16 it is a pointless feauture, and for example on Strava the smart records have usually fake time results due to the longer time gaps between 2 GPS points. 

It must works flawlessly with 1sec recording, there are enough resources just the coder team at Garmin has poor knowledge to eliminate these issue (or they are too lazy). Honestly i was getting tired to report all bugs in the past, i'm using older devices and i dont wanna buy newer Garmins due to its  poor software, unfortunately there is no other big contender on the market (i hope a few Chinese giants will enter soon) and they(Garmin) dont need to hurry to fix their products, they are in leader position (now)

• Thanks a lot. My conclusions:

1. I only have to get used to powermeter usage. 
    2. I have to search if there is a data field wich shows Zone over 3-10s. The normal data field showing Power average over time is available. 
    3. my speed sensor is already moved tobte front wheel. There is one bridge where I always see jumps so I will test it there on Friday morning. 

BTW:

i also think Smart recording is obsolete since years. First step for Garmin would be to not make it default on a lot of devices. 

• I dont know if this avgZone field is exist or not, i'm doing intervals on my every workouts, my main screen has 10 fields, and the following are very important to learn hold ing steady power and cadence:

1: cadence

2: lap cadence

3: lap time

4: lap avgpower

5: power (1sec, this field is not so important but i had space so i set it)

6: poweravg3sec

7: poweravg10sec

8: poweravg30sec

When You are riding, You should stay as close as You can to the target power with the lap avgpower at 1st (if the training is 2hs Z2 200w than lap avgpower= avgpower because You have only 1 lap only except if You separate it at 3 parts like warmup, main, cooldown). Then (after practicing) You stay close with the avgpower30sec , then with avgpower10sec, and finally with avgpower3sec. If You can hold the avgpower3s close to the target power everytime, your power chart will be very smooth, on uphill it is "easy", on flat or on downhill (with low% when You need to pedal continously, not on -10% with curves Grinning)  little harder but with lots of practice it will be "easy" too.

These newer gyroscope-based speed sensors are sensitive for shaking or rough terrain, maybe the road on that bridge is not pancake flat and the bumps make the sensor crazy a bit, i had similar issue on a bridge in the past when i used speed sensor (i didnt use since 2 years for sure, i had to replace battery in every month because i rode so many kms). But thats the sensor , and not the GPS, but if You want to see how bad is your 830's GPS based speed chart, just remove the speed sensor for 1 ride, go without it and share the FIT again with me (You wont see these spikes what i showed on Connect easily because the charts on GC have no big resolution on purpose... as the thickness of the line of the GPS track is huge because it is hiding the wrong tracks :)

• found this bout GPS, could explain, while there never come a fix?

Some have wondered how accurate the time display is on Garmin GPS receivers such as G-12XL, G-II+, and the  G-III.   Here is an answer provided by Garmin Engineering.   This also explains why the GPS can be locked for awhile and still differ from UTC by 11 or 12 seconds.  (This answer applies to other brands of GPS receivers as well.)

Start of Garmin quote>

Provided the unit has collected current leap second count from the navigation message, (current leap second difference from GPS time is only broadcast once in a 12.5 minute Nav. message), or current leap second has not changed since the last time the unit collected this variable, the time displayed on the front of the unit should be accurate to within 1 second of UTC.

>end of Garmin Quote

Joe Mehaffey comments:
    This means that IF your GPS does not have (or does not save) the leap second offset from last time it was operated,  your time may be off by perhaps 12 seconds until the complete NAV MESSAGE is received by the GPS.  Jack and I have observed that "typically" Garmin GPS receivers display time which is delayed from about 1/2 to 1 second behind UTC.  Lowrance GPS receivers are usually between 1 and 2 seconds delayed behind UTC.  In both cases,  this is a result of the display driver subroutine having low priority as the "GPS internal clock" is within a few nanoseconds of correct.

Similarly,  the NMEA time output on the serial link is typically delayed a second or two depending on various factors.

Joe Mehaffey

http://gpsinformation.net/main/gpstime.htm

• It is a very old article about very old GPS devices with very old GPS chipset (~20-25years old), the newer units with new chipsets have no such an issue already and they are always within 1sec 

• sure, old, but sometimes i think the software didn't change, as you know, the new Edge devices have no ntp (Network Time Protocol) and often it happens that your Edge run out of time, in the last fw release they made a change to update the time on Edge with GCM or GE, but often the time isn't exactly the same as my ntp time on my PC (often a difference of 20sec)

it's totally strange, that you can't set a date or time on Edge himself, you have to switch on GPS to get the correct ime

• I hope, Garmin will never again try to use NTP, they have proven to be unable to use it in a way not harming the user or the product. Also, they have proven to need 1.5 years! to fix that Müll.

• you mean the thing with the scale?

NTP is standard since tcp/ip exists arround 1970!