This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

830 freezing ant+ feed

My 830 is dropping connections to my PM and HR monitor mid-ride. Batteries are good all the way around, and my Garmin Virb is still recording data from the sensors during the same time the 830 has either dropped the signal or is frozen. See the HR in the last portion of today's race.

Stages PM, Wahoo HR

• I am having the exact same issue...as well as re-boots.  I posted under the "freezing 5.0" thread for what its worth

• I'm having the same issue with my HR monitor and my EDGE 830. Somewhere after 2-3h into the ride, the heart rate just freezes and it never recovers. I thought it would be a drained battery at first, but the issue keeps popping up after I put fresh batteries into the HR monitor, which by the way is from Garmin (HRM Run) and is connected through ANT.

• Be sure and open a ticket with Garmin support. They're working on the problem and the more data they get, the better.

• FWIW, I received the email below from Garmin suggesting a hard reset of the device would fix the problem:

You'll need to fully reset the Edge next:

This will reset it back to its factory default settings and wipe any data currently stored in the device, so if at all possible, please upload any important data to Garmin Connect before proceeding. After the reset has completed you will need to re-enter your profile details and zone information or send it from Garmin Connect.

1. Disconnect your device from your computer/power

2. Power the device off

3. Press and hold Lap and Start/Stop

4. Power device on while still holding both buttons

5. Continue holding buttons when the Garmin ‘splash’ screen appears

6. Release buttons when Garmin ‘splash’ screen disappears

Leave the unit outside, with a clear view of the sky for a minimum of 20 minutes to acquire satellite data before use.

• Pro tip- if you follow this advice, be sure to actually let the unit get a good GPS fix. If you skip that step, your next indoor session may not show the proper date.

• I have a different suggestion from Support (I opened a ticket).

Support has suggested to turn off Garmin Cadence and Garmin Speed sensors (where there is no dropout) to see if the link to HRM monitor holds up for an entire ride - it solves the problem for the HRM monitor but, of course, I don't have the Cadence and Speed sensor information.

Those two sensors were connected via Bluetooth, I will try next to force the connection over ANT+ and see if it is more stable. 

• I've never used the bluetooth connection to sensors. All mine were Ant+. Is there an advantage to using bluetooth?

• With Garmin Edge devices, ANT+ for sensors has been more reliable and consistent than BT.  BTLE is a relatively recent development compared to ANT+, and Garmin is the original developer of ANT+.  I use ANT+ for all my sensors that are capable of it.

• I’m happy to report that changing the cadence and speed sensors to ANT+ solved the issue. Those two in ANT+ mode, plus the HRM-Run and the edge remote (both ANT+) now récord long activities (3h+) successfully.