This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

5.00 Turn by Turn guidance

Hi,

Another disappointed course, again the new update bring not a solution on the "TbT guidance" issue !

I really can't understand that Garmin don't resolve this problem, knowing that the same happened with the 820 !?

To be correct I have to say about the same issue as the Egde 820, at last that unit work's correctly for some 40 Km, with the 830 it could be after 5Km or it didn't work at all with immediately, the distance to end and a street here neighborhood irremovable at the top of the screen for all the ride !

Anyway, some update resolve it, why can this be transposed on the newest machine ?

Another thing that made me thinking, this forum is full of other questions and asking's for other stuff than where a GPS is made for: guidance!!!  This made me asking myself, am I alone with this real problem? Other ways there is something happened with my unit and I have to return it.

So the question of this post : who can use an Edge 830 with a correct Turn by Turn guidance for a ride from 50 Km (or more?) ???

THX,

Jean

• I'm using open street maps (Openfietsmap Lite) from http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl and courses created on Strava. So long as I have all the pre installed Garmin maps and especially the Garmin world base map disabled I've had great tbt navigation for courses - up to 170k so far. Make sure the base map is disabled if you use an open street map and don't have more than one map for where you are enabled .

I used to have courses stop guiding correctly with my old 800 and just show distance to destination but simply stopping the course and restarting/recalculating it would fix it. So far no problems with the 830 once I disabled that useless Garmin world base map.

• Thank you for the quick response,

I use the Edge since the 750 (at last, I think that was the best unit with about no guidance problems) and believe me I have a lot of maps that I use into all the combinations (I think), sometimes I have a correct ride with complete guidance and no problems, then I am happy and think it is resolved ! until the next ride and again, and again the same issue.
    Now, if you have a moment, give me please your exact configuration and I give it a try next ride (tomorrow)

But I am about sure, this can only be resolved with the correct and definitive update coming from the goodwill from Garmin !

• I can only give some general advice and say what solved navigation issues for me.   You’ve been using navigation devices for a while so you know what you are doing.  Sorry if you know all this and sorry if I don't fully understand the problem you're having… For TBT navigation to work you need a good map and a good route/course file. 

Routes/Courses

For me, Strava routes that I’ve created or found work really well.  On the 830 I find the route I want from my Strava web page by opening the IQ page > Strava Routes and ‘Navigate Route’.  If I’ve found a route that way before it’s also listed at Navigation > Courses > Saved Courses.

Fyi these are some settings I have:

When I tap ‘Navigate Route’, I choose Launch Course with ‘Road’.  Before tapping 'Ride', if I scroll down to Settings > ‘Course Points’ enabled.

Swipe down from top of screen and tap Profile or tap Settings > Activity Profiles > ‘Road’ Scroll down to > Navigation > Navigation Prompts – ‘Map’

Navigation (to the left of Training on home page) > Courses > Saved Courses > Course Options (three lines lower right) ‘Turn Guidance’ enabled & ‘Off Crs. Warnings’ enabled.

Maps

I much prefer OSM maps to pre-installed Garmin maps for my region.  The link I gave earlier works perfectly to create and download maps.  I suggest that if you are using OSM you go to

Profile > Navigation > Map > Map Information. 

Here you see all the maps on the device and which are enabled and which are disabled.  On my device the only maps enabled are two Openfietsmap Lite maps (one for my home region and one for parts of Europe).  I had no end of navigation trouble if I had OSM maps enabled but I had not disabled Worldwide DEM Basemap,NR.  If you use OSM make sure that Garmin basemap is disabled.  I’ve disabled all Garmin maps and only OSM maps are enabled.  Make sure you don’t have two maps (Garmin and OSM or two OSM) covering the same area.

If your maps are set up correctly and you know you have good GPX course files I can’t help other than suggest resetting the device or calling Garmin support.  Your Edge 830 should be able to give excellent TBT guidance, just like mine does.  Good luck!

• No problems for me with regular rides over 50km following a course using TBT. I assume the OSM are pretty accurate these days in the UK. In the past there were the occasional problems with TBT due to inaccurate data but that seemed to have been resolved some time ago.

AFAIK these days Garmin use OSM data so the only advantages that you may get installing a different OSM is more updated data and a different colour scheme.

• I have been riding courses from RWGPS and the standard Garmin maps.  I have had no issues with long rides.

• Thanks again, all your advice made sense and are about all my settings.
    If each time you get out your device works correctly, and the same GPX file works right on other devices (no 830!) here in my club, I have to considering a return to Garmin, knowing I also already do a hard reset and I create my routes with several routers (ridewithGPS, MapmyRide, Basecamp, PlotaRoute etc...), like I already says I have a lot of (good) maps, I don't know what I can do more

I will wait a few more updates (who knows !?) the guys from Garmin read this forum and I suppose they know the problem, else I contact Garmin for a change

• It doesn't matter what route planner you use.

There isn't any magic being added by the route planner.

Ideally, the route/course/track should follow the roads on the map being used on the map.

Though, you shouldn't have problems if the track usually follows the roads (that is, the route calculator should be able to handle some deviations).

The default maps (on the current Garmins) are based on Openstreetmap data. Most (if not all) of the route planners provide OSM maps.

The world basemap also shouldn't be an issue. It doesn't have routing information. (I've seen issues reported about the basemap for Australia: it seems the usual basemap isn't being used for Australia).

==================

I'm not saying you aren't having a problem. I'm just saying that seeking out a magic route planner isn't a good use of time.

• Here's the TBT route created on the Garmin 830 using "Minimize Distance". My off-course TBTs are equally serpentine and don't reflect the OSM markings for established bike paths. Changing the Popularity Setting makes no difference nor does changing Minimise Distance/Ascent/Time etc.

Using Garmin's own cycle map (much less feature rich as it doesn't show bike paths at all) at least gets the shortest path and avoids the circuitous path using the OSM map (Openfietsmaplite).

I only have avoidance set for major highways and toll roads and all other Garmin maps are disabled.

https://pasteboard.co/IE8Sil2.bmp

https://pasteboard.co/IE8Tim0.bmp

• Try turning avoid toll roads to off. Openfietsmap does some weird routing with it enabled. Something to do with the criteria they apply to certain roads, which classifies them as toll roads. There was a long post on the 1030 forum where it was discussed

• Greatings to , I remember you when the 820 have the same troubles and when at last the delivering update comes, just after we discover (with Nickdodo) that in the most case it helps when we leave a distance between start and finish , but I can tell you I really have the issue now. (also with a NDD distance).
    Otherways I want to ask the owners who DO NOT have guidance problems, when do you buy/received your unit? I pre-order mine before it was on the market, and probably I received one of the first produced, with an issue that perhaps is hardware resolved in the meantime.