This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Bogus Turn Notification

While navigating on winding roads I get bogus turn notifications. I get a pop-up that there's a turn when in fact the road just curves.

Garmin: Please consider an algorithm like if the name of the road is the same entering the turn and exiting the turn then it's not a turn - it's just a curvy road.

Top Replies

All Replies

• I've seen this on occasion with previous Edge units as well depending on what maps I was using.  AFAIK,  It's a property of the map data.  The map says there's a discontinuity/turn and the Edge dutifully commands it.  The Edge can't know the map data is wrong.

• But your proposal is not always true. I can think of at least two roads near me where it's a distinct turn yet the road name remains the same. Travelling straight on at the junction puts you on a road with a different name.

• This drove me up the wall riding the Stelvio, I suspect Looigi is right and it is something on the underlying map, likely need to look at OSM and see how the roads are defined.

• The reality of the roads and road name signs is irrelevant.  The Edge only knows what is coded in the map data.  I recall a situation where was a continuous stretch of road with no name change, no town/county/state jurisdiction change or anything else that would say it wasn't simply a continuous road, and the Edge would not route through a particular point on that road.  It would route up to it coming from either direction, but not through it.  The map data said there was a discontinuity and that's all the Edge knew.  That was using an OSM map.

• "But your proposal is not always true."

No, it might not be "always true". It is true in some cases.

"I can think of at least two roads near me where it's a distinct turn yet the road name remains the same. Travelling straight on at the junction puts you on a road with a different name."

How about providing that information? That is, where, exactly, is this example occurring?

• "It would route up to it coming from either direction, but not through it.  The map data said there was a discontinuity and that's all the Edge knew."

This is a different issue.

• "This drove me up the wall riding the Stelvio".

I think it might be the hairpin turns that are the issue here.

• "But your proposal is not always true."

No, it might not be "always true". It is true in some cases.

So we're in agreement. Garmin can't program an algorithm to work sometime but not others based purely on streetname.

"I can think of at least two roads near me where it's a distinct turn yet the road name remains the same. Travelling straight on at the junction puts you on a road with a different name."

How about providing that information? That is, where, exactly, is this example occurring?

There's here: https://goo.gl/maps/M6Ey596rRj8Ec8WBA
    Travelling south-east on Park Road, straight on takes you onto Renown Rd. Turn left to stay on Park Road.

Or here: https://goo.gl/maps/A7Yc7s5PNczovz3G9
    Turn left to stay on Cross St when travelling north-west. Straight on becomes Jindabyne Ave

• My original beef is with turn notifications when there is no intersecting road. That is a bogus notification.

I agree, and ride thru, intersections where going straight puts you on a different street name so a turn is required to stay on the same street name.

Again, that's not my beef. When roads intersect then by all means provide a turn prompt if the course turns a corner.

• My original beef is with turn notifications when there is no intersecting road. That is a bogus notification.

Yes, I can understand the frustration, but maybe there is an intersecting road on the underlying OSM data. It just might not be visible on the map.

Can you give an example of where you've had this experience and we can look at OSM?