This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Battery drain for 830 when switched off?

The battery lifetime when the device is on is really great. However, when I switch it off completely (i.e. Power off - not sleep!) battery drains completely. I did not remember this behaviour from my Edge 810....

Is there some setting I need to pick? Does the Edge wake up and does some updating in the background? I cannot imagine this, but still would like to know.

• I had similar problems if I just pressed the off switch to switch off. Now I've found if, when switching off, I press and hold the off switch for a couple of seconds I get a screen giving me the options of "sleep" or "power off". Since I've been selecting "power off" I've had no more problems  - now it always starts up again when switched on (providing there's some charge in the battery) and the battery life is great, around 70% left after several 1.5-2 hour rides. Doing this the powersign sometimes stays on, but only for a second or two.

• I have the same issue.  Even when I use the power button and select "Power Off" and check that the power symbol goes blank I come back the next day and it has zero charge.  Has ruined three training sessions.  Probably the last Garmin I will buy. 

• Same issue. Purchased new device yesterday, updated software to version 5, spent an hour going in circles getting the 830 to pair with my iPhone (In two years I have never had a reliable connection between my edge device 1030 and my iPhone - looks like the 830 will be no different). Plugged into wall and charged to 100%, turned off using power off and left overnight. Jump on the bike for a ride this morning and the battery was at 0%. Had to ride with the device hooked up to a battery pack cable-tied to bottle cage Thumbsdown tone2... Garmin devices have a lot of positives when they work, but software and reliability issues have plagued every device I have owned (not to mention problems with Vector 3’s). Garmin seem to always release half baked products that the try to fix over the first 12 months or so of it’s life cycle... Thinking I will return the device as faulty and go back to Wahoo. 

• I have found that this is the only reliable way to assure the Edge is turned off and that I have a charged battery for my next ride. This seems to be a firmware issue, that remains unresolved.  If it were a hardware issue, then pressing the power button alone should turn the device off, but relying on the touch screen to complete a shutdown, points to software. I also find ANT+ devices do not reliably connect to the Edge, which, to me, again points to the firmware/software scope of issues.

• I've got exactly the same issue with my Edge 830. I do a full power off and the 3 days later it is completely dead and won't switch back on again.

• Only way it doesn't fail is to let it fully startup, for a min, then I can power off

This has worked so far, kind of finicky on sleep though

• Same problem: after a battery off, the unit did not starting on again. After a few hours charging (current dropped from 0.45 A to 0.05 A) , the unit did restart, after long pressing the on/off tbutton.

• I have the same problem, battery drops with 20% per day when powered of completely. What is garmin going to do about this problem?

• Same thing happened to me again! 100% sure I used the poer off (not sleep) button, a few days later it was completely dead again. Super annoying.

• I've got exactly the same issue with my Edge 830. I do a full power off and days later it is completely dead and won't switch back on again.
    The same thing happens if I leave it in sleep mode.
    I tried one thing, this only happens when I leave the sensors activated, or leave the connection to the smatphone on
    When I turn off the Garmin leaving the sensors turned off and the connection to the smartphone deactivated, the battery consumption is reduced to 0, at most 1% or 2%.
    It is not the same to leave it suspended than off, the boot process consumes some battery.
    Try this what I comment to see if it happens to you too.

Regards