This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Time/Date Drift on the Edge 830

ok... chasing my tail on this one. The unit I have drifted back in time today ~4 days causing no end of issues looking at FIT files recorded on the 16th. 

Battery never hit 0%....? 

• I've seen this on devices only used indoors, happened on my 1030. I might have an old support case or forum thread about it, will look.

• Here's the thread from earlier this year.

<edit> to save you trawling through it delete your timezone map and leave it outside for a bit.

Also note that the manual is wrong for the 830 and the 1030 in that it says it syncs over bluetooth. It syncs time zones over bluetooth but apparently not the time itself.

[email protected]
    Mon, 4 Feb, 13:42
    to

Thanks for chatting with us earlier. Here is a full transcript of our conversation.

[07:18:51] jgforrest: Edge 1030 displaying incorrect time
    [07:18:52] Session started between jgforrest and Charlotte
    [07:19:01] jgforrest: Hi
    [07:19:47] Charlotte: Hiya, can I grab the serial number from the back of the device please?

[07:19:56] Charlotte: when did the device stop showing the correct time?

[07:20:11] jgforrest: My edge 1030 will not display the correct time, it is uploading workouts with a date/timestamp of 3 days ago
    [07:20:20] jgforrest: About 3 days agoi
    [07:20:54] Charlotte: so the activities ANd the main screen all have the wrong time correct?

[07:21:02] jgforrest: Yes
    [07:21:15] jgforrest: Main screen is showing 8:55 when it is 13:21 here
    [07:21:26] jgforrest: I can't work out how to see the date on the device
    [07:23:43] Charlotte: Have you connected the device to your phone via Bluetooth and synced or to GPS for an outside activity since this happened?

[07:24:32] jgforrest: I've connected via bluetooth multiple times, but I haven't done an outdoor activity, I've been training indoors due to the weather
    [07:25:09] Charlotte: Are you near a window at all?

[07:25:21] jgforrest: Yes
    [07:25:25] Charlotte: Can you try and connect the device to GPS for me (hence the ask)

[07:26:24] jgforrest: Its showing 2 green bars
    [07:26:53] jgforrest: Oh, the time updated, lol, thats weird
    [07:27:01] jgforrest: I tried that multiple times yesterday
    [07:27:02] Charlotte: can you select to record an outside activity just for a minute or so and then stop and save and then check the time after

[07:27:16] Charlotte: Ah perfect, essentially the device updates to the current time zone every time you connect via GPS :)

[07:27:26] Charlotte: and for your activities: Changing the Start Time for Activities in Garmin Connect

[07:28:28] jgforrest: Yes, I did that yesterday, thanks. I'm guessing what might have fixed it is I deleted the timezone map this morning (saw that in the forums).
    [07:28:57] jgforrest: Any idea why bluetooth syncing wouldn't have fixed it?
    [07:31:50] Charlotte: It doesn't update the time and date via Bluetooth with this device like some of our others. It's all via GPS

[07:32:03] jgforrest: Thats not what the manual says
    [07:32:15] jgforrest: www8.garmin.com/.../GUID-15DC4645-CB16-48CF-9447-80058C7DCA83.html
    [07:33:08] jgforrest: If it doesn't update via phone sync then anyone using it for indoor training won't get the right time.
    [07:33:25] jgforrest: Is it possible to raise a bug report to the devs?
    [07:34:57] Charlotte: I'll raise it on our end but if the date and time have reset with GPS as designed there isn't much more we can do. We always advise connecting to GPS as the first stage of troubleshooting with any date or time issues for this exact reason. Even if the device is mainly used indoors.

[07:35:43] jgforrest: Understand, but I tried that yesterday and it didn't work, so a secondary method via phone sync would make it more reliable.
    [07:36:33] jgforrest: So if you can raise it thats great, I'm glad to have it synced up again and appreciate your help.
    [07:41:57] Charlotte: No worries at all, Have a lovely day

[07:42:00] Charlotte: The conversation has ended. If you still need help please get back in touch!
    [07:42:00]

• The same problem and it's frustrating as the activity goes somethere in the past and I even don't know the way to set the correct time and date without finding GPS!

Pls. help!

• Right now the only way to set the date/time is with GPS but there is a fix on the way if you see this post

https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/cycling/f/edge-830/207499/edge-running-out-of-time-without-gps-on-fw-5-00

• Thanks! Moreover, if edge sticks after connection, charge and needs reset - after it could be 2-3 days behind also... hope this also will be solved with this patch!
  • New FW and didn't mention anything on this problem...

Is there any idea? Today had the same problem and spent 10-15 minutes to start my training today!

• it isn't solved with FW 5.10, it's really a mess how long it takes to solve a important thing like this!

• Can you please fix this time sync thing! It is extremely annoying to have backdated activities that are not possible to change in the Edge! Can't you just sync time and date with the connected mobile phone as a compliment to GPS so that it works better for indoor cycling.
    Just got an answer from Garmin support in Sweden regarding this issue and that these units are not made for indoor cycling. What kind of answer is that? Instead, look at how the actual users use it and adapt!

• Had the same happening to me today. Could not see my indoor ride of feb. 02 13:43 found it on january 26th 12:something. Tried to set the time and found no option to do so, thus receiving here after trying with the device, the connect app and garmin express. Only option it seems is to use gps to set time right, can only guess if the date is right.

Cant have this every time after the device decides to run out of battery during " indoor season" .

What a strange and extreme user unfriendly choice from Garmin to set time by GPS signal only. Strongly recommend adding the option for manual setting time and date.